May 1, 2007
I am taking two bikes to a trail system that requires spark arrestors and I am not sure if they have them or not and if there is a way to add them cheaply.

The place says that you "must have an appropriate muffler and approved spark arrester, maintained in effective working order. Such devices must meet either Forest Service standards, or the 80 percent efficiency level in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended Practices J335 and J350."

First is a 2003 Kawasaki KLX125 with stock exhaust. I am pretty sure it has one since it is a 4 stroke trail bike but could be wrong.

Second is a 1989 Yamaha YZ 250wr with pro circuit exhaust system. I am guessing that since it is mostly a mx bike that it does not have one. I really do not want to have to spend $100+ on something that seems unnecessary but I guess I will if I must. One thing that leads me to believe it might have one is that is has bark busters and is all woods'd out.

How do you check for a spark arrestor? I really do not want to have to spend $100+ on something that seems unnecessary but I guess I will if I must.
Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
If it is an approved spark arrestor it will have it stamped on the cannister. Also, there will be a screen near the end of the cannister that may be visible (or you can push a long straw or something up there to see if it gets resistance).

Most trail systems on the East Coast where I ride do not look for the stamp mark but will sometimes stick a screwdriver up the exhaust to check for a screen.

However, if they look for the stamp you are better off getting a unit that has it on it.

Ivan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Your guesses are probably right but the Forest Service compliance is stamped on the silencer housing. You may have to remove the number plate to see it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually a Krizman spark arrestor while will have a USFS stamp doesn't have a screen. None the less it is a necessary item because sure the chance is small but would you want to be responsible for a large scale forrest fire? Maybe one that takes homes and/or life?

Top Bottom