sparkplug not firing, suggestions?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
ok,, i got my bike back together after having my cylinder ported and forks rebuilt,,
When i tried to crank it up,, i found that my plug didnt have fire.
I tried different plugs, took the kill switch apart, then looked at wiring under tank, it all looked good, and bike ran fine before i sent it all off,,,
one thing i did do while it was tore down was sprayed wd40 around inside my igintion cover thinking it would keep moister out,,, could this have shorted out my stator (which is 2 years old).??

stangmata23l

Mar 14, 2002
Spraying WD40 was definately a bad idea. It is possible that you shorted out your stator. What you want to do is start from the spark plug and test our way back. Check your high tension wireout of the coil, have the coil tested (its free) then check to make sure you have power out of the stator. Your book will tell you your required resistance that your stator should give you. Get a good multi meter and test it out.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
I may be on to something,, i unhooked my kill switch totally, so that wasnt it..
but when i took off my flywheel,, i saw where the wheel chewed half way thru a ground wire,, so i fixed that,, so i thought,,

Question: can a short like that cause permanate damage to the stator?

Cause after i got it all fixed up, it still wouldnt fire,, as it stands, i rewired it so nothing is rubbing and sprayed contact cleaner on it all to get off the wd40. i'll try to start it again tommorrow, and if that dont work, i'll use volt meter testing.... but anyone think i could be permantatly damaged ?

Top Bottom