23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I don't think this is your typical spoke question. The rear wheel spokes on my son's XR100 are not showing equal threads above the nipple, and there is a pattern to the asymmetry. Looking at the wheel from the side, all the spokes that leave the rim and sweep forward to the hub are showing about 3 threads above the edge of the nipple. Those that sweep backward to the hub are showing no threads - but they turn freely, so there is still thread engagement inside the nipple.

This is a new XR100, has about 4 hours on it. When I checked the spokes this morning, there were several loose ones as expected on a new bike. There was also a bit of runout, about 0.050" both radially and axially. I trued it down to less than 0.030", which didn't take much to remove.

So - why does it have this odd pattern? :think: My concern is whether there is adequate thread engagement on the nipples showing threads, and whether I will run out of adjustment on those that don't. I would not expect to have to tighten after a couple more rides, but this is curious. Does anybody think this warrants loosenening all the spokes & starting over? :(

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Not really. If you are that worried then next time you pull the tire off check how far the spokes are inside the nipples. If any poke through grind them down so they don’t puncture the tube.

At the end of the day the runout to ensure the axle is the centre of the wheel is the most important. If the spokes are tight & not pulling out of the nipples then don’t lose any sleep.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Alot of wheels are built with 2 different length spokes... the outside ones are longer then the inside ones.

I lace and true alot of wheels but I really can't help you without seeing it.

Jeff

Top Bottom