sponsorship for my son

gaz1985

Jan 26, 2008
hi my son is 3 years old he has been riding since he was 2 ,he is just about to come off the stabilisers i made for him,anyway he rides everyday at our practice track as used by british riders james noble and ryan voase

we are dedicated and we wondering what age he could consider asking for sponsors to help him along the way

any advice i will be grateful

thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The good sponsorships come looking for you. At the track results and presence is everything. Over here, England may be different. Post up some race results, and have fun! The on-line sponsors deals can get a foot in the door of manufactures. Go for who you like to use, and are going to need the most help from.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
From a sponsor point of view I want (or should I say wanted) decent results, good grades and a good attitude presented by both the rider and parents. I looked around locally and could never get the right mix (local so I could check up on things personally). The riders getting results typically had a bad attitude and thought they deserved a couple of pit bikes and some even $$$ :laugh: A couple came close but their grades and/or parent let them down so I shelved the idea. I might be a bit too strict in what I'm looking for and if so, too bad for me. So perhaps you can find some info from my side of the fence that will help you find what you are looking for.

Apr 30, 2007
As far as sponsors go, I would have to say that there is no age limit provided they understand the concept of a sponsor and are able to thank them.

I've been using Sponsorhouse dot com - however I don't know if they have companies that are in your area..

Patman, what kind of sponsorship do you offer?

Er, more I was curious as to what position you might hold that allows you to be a sponsor.

I've been trying to figure out how to approach some local businesses, and am a little interested in what aspects of a rider (or any athlete in general) sponsors are particularly interested in.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I will let Patman get more into details if he chooses but as far as public knowledge he and Tony Eeds are Pitviper pitbikes. Pat is also the kind of guy that recognizes positive behavior and likes to reinforce it. He was also the force behind Spider's very first sponsorship and taught an 11 year old the behaviour involved in having sponsors help out. It was a lesson that has paid dividends as Spder has progressed in his racing

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oldguy pretty much covered it. :)

Apr 30, 2007
Cool :) Thanks for the details!

gaz - we would like to know how your son does when it comes time to find the sponsors! Keep us updated if you can!

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
gaz-

seeng how he has never competed ,
and is extreemly young.
sponsership is probably not an option youll face anytime soon.
unless someone is just wanting to take personal interest or satisfaction in helping
your lil guy- in a charity way.
(sorry just being realistic).

The main thing riders need to keep in mind is what they can do for the sponser.

a rider seeking sponsership is asking for employment, a job.
to be paid.(in some form)

lots of folks want the same job.
if he/she wants hired,
they need to impress the prospective emloyeer with what actual monetray value
he can bring to the company or organization.

if he/she can sell themselves to a team or product manager ,
and really SELL it,
then that same manager has a decent idea that person can sell/ move product for them.
(a value for his investment)

its a basic concept that mostr riders miss out on when writing thier resumee's.

getting 4th(or first) in some series at chicken licks raceway in the novice (or even expert) class,
wont move half the product, that going up to everyone the rider knows and
saying what a great dealer he has ,with great customer sevice ,,
,or how great this *type* of gear is..how long it lasts..

if any sponser gets even one call from a customer saying they were refered by " joe rider"
it would easily out distance even his best local race results..

at the local level... you are either going to be a salesman..or not.
thats what matters to a sponser.

results mean very very little.

a good image, outgoing positive personality, a real willingness to actively contact and interact with others about product or services..
will earn you local sponsors

results likely wont.(locally)
thats the reality.

results are important in entirely different arena-
pro. or amatuer turning pro..

good luck!

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
justalonewolf007 said:
As far as sponsors go, I would have to say that there is no age limit provided they understand the concept of a sponsor and are able to thank them.

I've been using Sponsorhouse dot com

I don't mean to be an ass but Sponsorhouse.com is just a place to get a small discount. No a true sponsorship by any means.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
thumbs said:
I don't mean to be an ass but Sponsorhouse.com is just a place to get a small discount. No a true sponsorship by any means.
I totally agree with you Thumbs on this. It is great for a rider who is new or doesn't have local shops willing to give discounts but all to often you have to buy items you really do not need to fullfill the requirements.
That said Spider was with Sponsorhouse from the first day they were on line and was able to develope a relationship with some manufacturers based on his initial sponsorhouse contract with them. This season he moved to another organization which is based on the sponsorhouse foundation but he is able to recieve much better deals with the new setup and by maintaining his old contacts which he pretty much did and got the best help from anyways the last 3 seasons.
If anyone is interested in the new company PM and I will give you the details but do not want to spam it out here

gaz1985

Jan 26, 2008
we dont want paying etc for him i just want backing as he is going to be good theres no 2 ways about it he will be very good he rides 2 hrs a day (im so tired lol) with work etc but hes worth it he loves it

i just want someone to back him

thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
gaz1985 said:
hi my son is 3 years old

gaz1985 said:
i just want backing as he is going to be good theres no 2 ways about it he will be very good he rides 2 hrs a day

My personal feeling is if this is not a joke then you really need to take several steps back and re-evaluate.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
+1 Chili

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

EVERY dad on the planet feels the same way ... yet there are VERY few that make it. Not trying to be negative, but it's a SUPER long road, best of luck to you and your son.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
EVERY dad on the planet feels the same way ... yet there are VERY few that make it. Not trying to be negative, but it's a SUPER long road, best of luck to you and your son.
yep I am one of them and altho we knew Spider would be in it for fun he pushes to excel at his level and that alone makes him a winner every race in my eyes and heart :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
As an update... for those seeking sponsorship please start off with a resume that includes both MX as well as other accomplishments and grades. If you are under 18 parent contact information is also necessary.

Basically you are trying to sell us on you, which should be your easiest and biggest goal, if you can't do that then we can't really expect you will put much effort in to our bikes.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Every dad is proud of their son and wants them to be a champion.
But searching out a sponsor for a 3yr old is simply a dad's delusions of grandeur.
Actually, on the brink of irresponsible.

My thoughts are, that I feel very sorry for this little kid.

Unless you are the top level of competition in any sport, sponsorships are basically nothing but ad campaigns for the mfg. Nothing more. And unless the mfg is taking on a full load, then it really isn't a sponsorship. You are probably only getting the discount that would normally be extended to dealers and counter sales persons.
But then, if there were no so called sponsors around, then some of these kids would have nothing to talk about on the podium. And just think of how hard cool stickers would be to get. :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…