bfl

Apr 6, 2003
Spooge from end of pipe with a little specks forming on rear fender, leaking from silencer retaining screws and of course silencer to pipe joint. After every ride
97 360 mxc
Pump gas
Oil Super Maxima M 40/1
170 main 42 pilot 1 ½ A/S #7 Slide N85d 3rd clip from top (Plug looks a Dark Tan)
FMF Gnarly pipe and Silencer
Reed spacer
Cylinder Decompression hole
Clean filter after every ride
The bike runs excellent with very strong low end torque so I usually end short shifting and most of my ridding is 1/8 to half throttle 90% of the time except for that occasional monster uphill. So do I just leave as is and enjoy good running bike and just wipe its butt after every ride, I am thinking of maybe trying 45 or 50 /1 mixture ratio does anyone have any ideas I would be grateful
360MXC Butt wiper

B

biglou

You know, mine does the same thing and I have just decided to live with it. It pulls strong down low, runs great all around. What I did was put two zip-ties around the pipe-silencer rubber boot, that eliminated the spooge spray on my pretty white shock spring! Other than that, I've decided to let her go. I'm running one smaller on pilot and main, 2nd clip position from top, pump premium (Amoco only) at 32:1. Not sure if my logic is correct or not, but I figure a little more premix through the topend can't hurt the bearings, pin, etc.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Try some plug chops and see how the plug looks. You may be a little rich on jetting. Adding less oil to the pre mix will only make it worse, as you will be causing the bike to run richer. I know allot of folks here swear by Super M mix oil. I could never get my bike jetted with Super M, it was very sensative on the slightest elevation changes, ended up with black spots all over the back of my jersey. I have switched to Belray H1R @ 40:1 on premium pump gas, now my bike is stable for my riding areas (3000-5000 ft) with only air screw adjustment required. My jetting is main 180, pilot 45, N3CH needle 3rd clip position, air screw at 1.25 - 2 turns depending on conditions. At the end of the day I have about 2" of drool out the silencer. Good Luck
Lew

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I believe it's a jetting issue. I have an '01 300 MXC and have done a lot of jetting experimentation over the last couple of years. With the stock needle, I used to get a lot of spooge out the silencer and also at the pipe/silencer junction. I tried running a single taper needle (CEK) that most people recommend, and that cleaned up the jetting quite a bit but I thought it made the power feel flat. And even with the single taper needle, I still got some spooge, though not as much as with the stock triple taper needle. I finally went with an N3EJ needle out of an '02 Yamaha YZ250 and really like the way it runs with that. I use a 42 pilot, 178 main and the Yamaha needle in the 2nd clip position and the bike pulls hard, doesn't foul plugs and I get no spooge. I'm running Mobil-1 MX2T premix at 40:1 with pump gas. These KTMs seem to be very finicky when it comes to jetting. Once you get them right, they work fine, but it may take you a while to get there. The key to getting them right seems to be in the needle. In my opinion, you can get them reasonably close with the stock needles but you'll never get it right until you dump the stock needle and try something with a different taper. I'm by no means an expert at jetting these things...I just went off the suggestions of others, bought some jets from Sudco and did some seat-of-the-pants experimenting. If you have the time and inclination, I think you can get your bike dialed in and eliminate that spooge.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I got rid of most of the spooge, It's still oily, but no more running down the silencer or out of the junction.

I switched to amoco 93 pump gas, mobil mx2t oil @ 32:1, and one step fatter needle.

Good Luck!!!

Chief

bfl

Apr 6, 2003
Just thought I would share my results on Spooge
Went ridding today 3500ft. to 4500 ft. 53 deg. At beginning and 65 deg. At end of ride
Installed new plug lowered my needle to 2nd clip N85D, sealed silencer to pipe joint with orange RTV (nobody had right size hose last night) and ran 50/50 pump/ Race gas everything else left as in earlier post
Results
Bike did run crisper and had no Spooge after blowing out residual
Thanks for input everybody I will try CEJ needle next time out

bfl

Apr 6, 2003
97 360 mxc
50%Pump gas 50% union 100 racing
Oil Super Maxima M 40/1
170 main 42 pilot 1 ½ A/S #7 Slide N85d 2nd clip from top
FMF Gnarly pipe and Silencer
Reed spacer
Cylinder Decompression hole
Clean filter after every ride

Went riding today 3500ft. to 4500 ft. 51 deg. At beginning And 63 at end about 35 miles Total

One more ride with N85d 2nd clip to check for repeatability bike ran excellent put it to the slow steep uphill test to check for over heating and it over heated twice where it has not before and still no spooge

CEJ needle results
175 main CEJ 3rd clip everything else the same
Bike ran good I can tell I like single taper needle I do have better throttle control for my riding style Ran same path as before with no over heating but spooge is back on fender
I will try 172 main with CEJ 3rd clip or 175 main with CEK 3rd clip next week and post

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Spooge, like death and taxes, learned to live with it after jetting.

50:1 semi synth in 200 EXC. Don't get on the pipe much in the woods, and have to clear it out, but runs great. Why change anything? Keep the paper towels handy...

Last edited:
Top Bottom