SPEEDKING

Nov 23, 2005
I've got a 2003 Service Honda. I'm told it uses a 2002 chasis of a CR250. Alledgedly the motor weighs 7 pounds more then a 250. Add to that a 3.0 gallon Clarke gas tank which I'm thinking adds another 7/8 pounds to the bike.

Me- I weigh 190 +/- a few pounds, but with ALL my gear on I come in at a whopping 235 pounds when trail riding. I ride a strong "B" with bit and peices of "A" in me. When I race Hare Scrambles about 7 pounds or so are shed when the tools/tubes/etc are left at the truck.

Terrain- AZ singletrack, Hare Scrambles and Enduros....mostly Hare Scrambles.

I have stock front springs and went up to a 5.1 rear spring. The fork seems (?) OK but the rear spring was way mushy with the static sag at 26mm and rider/race at 110mm. The spring measurement was 246mm which is the most it's suppose to be per the book. Clicker settings on compression was 4 out from max and the rebound (I think) was 9 out.

I put a 5.3 in the rear and it is better but I'm still wondering. The static sag is 22mm and rider/race is 105mm. The spring measurement is at 247 which is the wondering part..I would think it would be more given it's a higher spring rate?? My clicker settings are 9 out compression with rebound unchanged at 9.

Given the extra weight of the bike, tank, and me, what are the proper spring rates for this bike. I've tried the charts and I just don't think there right ...at least for me anyway. What's your thoughts. Thanks.

Top Bottom