Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
I have been forcing myself to stand when I ride and have been experimenting with raising my bars, rolling them forward, etc. How high is too high? Is there ANY rule of thumb here? I mean, I am 6'1", with fairly long arms and even with the bars raised up an 1" and moved forward I still feel like I am cramped on the bike and even hunched over in a more aggressive position I still feel like I am going over the front, even when clamping with my legs. I have the stock Tomaselli bars on my husaberg, that are a lower bend and fairly flat and have been considering a CR Hi bend on top of 1' riser block. I just don't want to end up with a set of "ape-hangers"!

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

"The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow."

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
At 6'1" taller bars are probably something that you may need. I'm only 5'10" and was always a little uncomfortable (felt like what you described) when I stood up on my KTM, well I rolled the bars forward and presto, all better. You may want to compare the differences in height of the bars you have with some others and find what seems good. Most manufactuers have charts with all the different bends and measurements.

------------------

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
First at 6'1" you probably need taller bars since most bikes are made for the average 5'10" person. The taller bars will allow more adjustment difference because they span a greater throw. Try to find a bar position that feels comfortable sitting and stading with your eyes closed.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Hey, after reading this thread, this might be my prob. If you read my other thread in this forum, I have problems standing up and riding. I'm 6'3, and am riding on stock bars. Hrm, I"m going to try the rolling trick tonight and see if that helps. If not, I'll get some different bars...

------------------
'91 RM 250

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Thanks guys! I may go ahead and try some new bars taller bars. Any rule on how far they can be safely rotated forward? I always heard something like they should be in line with the forks.

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I have the same prob. I am 6'3" and when standing feel too hunched over. I have CRhi bend but its not enough. I don't know what kind of triple clamps you have but you may be able to get taller bar mounts, if not may have to get new upper clamp. I am afraid this is what I will have to do, bar mounts on mine are part of the upper clamp.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
you might also try mounting your bars more forward, which might take a different (exc. on a ktm). i use tall bars with very little sweep, mounted forward, & have become much more comfy standing (6 ft., mostly torso).

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Ya, I already have a 1" riser under the clamps. I would have to agree that rolling the bars forward made the most difference yet, raising helped but forward was what opened up the stance some. The standing height doesn't really feel too bad, it's just I don't feel "spread out" enough on the bike to get good leverage on the bike while on the gas or brakes. I guess it's never gonna feel like a 20" bmx bike!! :)

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
One danger of rotating your bars too far forward is that it will also turn your wrists in. If the ends of the bars turn up (when viewed from the front level with the bars), then you've rotated too far forward.

------------------

tallbob

Oct 30, 1999
I'm 6'5" and I've always used Hi CR bars. Check out the Renthal Fatbars they are taller than most Hi CR bars. I've got them on my YZ, with adapters they are pretty high and work great for me.

------------------

Bent6

Jul 30, 2000
I'm 6' tall and have a 95 RM 250 with CR High bend Renthals. The bars feel very low compared to buddies 99 CR. I can go much faster in the rough on his bike. It seems I have more leverage and mechanical advantage on his bike. So, I called Renthal to find out what their highest bar was. Quad bars are very tall but have more pull back than you find on dirtbikes. They have two bar bends taller than CR high. There was a Generic Quad race bend which has less pull back than most quad bars and only slightly more pull back than CR high bars. The highest bike bar they offer is the Jimmy Button copy bar ( Jimmy is 6'4" ). So that is what I ordered. Hopefully it is money well spent.

------------------

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Bent6, I'm pretty happy with my button bend bars, but I think they have a bit more sweep than your cr hi bends... Personally I wish they were about another inch higher :).

------------------
Mental note: uncheck "show signature" before submitting next time :

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Great subject for me cuz I'm about 6'3" and need pleny of working room.
I always get a bar with a tallbend and add bar risers which are half the cost of new bars. Not to mention they pitch the bar forward or backward which is very good. The other thing that is just as important in my book getting a tall seat foam. I chose medium softness for the prevention of severe monkey butt! I found Guts Racing through a good friend and you might try mentioning dirtrider.net ! Here's their page:

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/gutsracing1.html

Yamadog

Oct 12, 2001
At 6'-4" I know how it feels to be crowded in the saddle. I found some risers made by Thumper Racing that moved the bar up and forward. They have various heights available and can suggest the proper one for you when you call them. The bar riser and the CR Hi-Bend bars work well for me.

Thumper Racing Phone # 800 259-5186 Cost $89 :D

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Bar Height

Would'nt moving the bars foward in the clamps (Like the Kawi Clamps) make you lean over foward more thus making it more uncomforatable? Theres no doubt that moving the bars foward would give you more room in the saddle but at what cost?

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Moving your bars forward will indeed make you lean forward more, but i don't think thats a bad thing. If i was a boxer, i would be in the feather light weight devision. I really need to throw all of my weight onto the front when taking flat corners, and having the bars mounted forward leaves enough room for me to control the bars when in that position. I quite honestly sit almost on the gas cap and keep my body upright, or else it doesn't work for me. And when sitting like this, with the bars well forward, my chin is over the crossbar when i look down. Thats how i know this setup is suited for me. Im 6" tall.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ok I can see Boozers point but would that apply to both motocross and Enduro riding? Being in the attack position in motocross is one thing but do you want the same position for enduro type riding? I would think you would want to be more in a neutral (centered) type position while on the trails. Am I wrong? If so, Im moving the bars forward.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Usually getting forward while cornering is necessary to go fast in mx and trail/enduro... except maybe in sand :). Exactly how far forward you sit in corners is a matter of what works best for you. On my bike, the slight dip in the seat seems to be the good spot for most corners.

My bars with the spacers are about 2" higher than stock and for me, how tall the bars are seems more important than how far forward they are. I don't personally rotate my bars forward because it just feels wrong. Moving them forward with an aftermarket triple clamp or other gadget would be a different matter. I'm going to try a home made bracket to move mine forward. You won't know if it will help until you try it :).

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I just went through this myself and found that the TAG CR-Double Hi fat bars with the universal mounts worked awesome! Besides the new Pro Taper Pastrana bend, these are pretty much as high as you can get...I'm 6'3 and love the feeling of the added height!

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
I was skimming around the boards and saw my OLD post up again...pretty funny!

Man, reading this has reminded me how far I've come since this spring. I stand probably 90% of the time now and it feels weird to sit!! Go figure. I'd say anyone that is trying to get used to standing period, is going to have some difficulty getting used to the feeling at first. I continued to ride the setup I had in my original post and came to really love it. Now I'm on a WR426 and I threw a set of Jimmy Buttons on the stock clamps and I'm fine.

Top Bottom