tenben

Jul 29, 2003
Hey Guys,

I bought a 2003mdl YZ250 about 3 months ago, it is my first bike, so i'm just learning to ride it. I don't seem to have any problems, i am jumping 70 - 80 foot tables, 30 foot doubles, all fine but when i comes to changing up gears while standing just feels awkward. I can't seem to get my foot under the lever and when i do my foot is on a bad angle (bent forward, so therefore i have to lean my left leg forward). I've tried moving my gear lever higher but then it's just too high and i can't ride. What should i do? Is maybe my gear lever too short and i need it extended? I wear 'Tech 8' boots, but so does everyone and they have no trouble...

Let me know what you think, any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

drzgod

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
I wear Alpinestar Tech 6s. They are a very large boot because of the armoring on them. I purchased an extended shift lever, made all the difference.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
When shifting while standing, i kinda lift my whole leg up some, a quick jerk..
Rick

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ike tells us top run our shifters level with the top of the footpeg. If you're upshifting, you should be accelerating, which means you should be rather far forward and getting your boot under the shifter shouldn't be a problem.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I used the notches on the spline, then heated the lever and bent it up or down to fine tune it. I have to lift my knee to shift while sitting, and can shift more comfortable while standing.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
You don't have to get your whole foot under the shifter. I got very comfortable with using the side of my boot at the sole to catch the shifter. If you are new to your boots than it will take time to learn the feel. You would want to learn the side of boot technique anyway since when in deep ruts you don't want to put you foot below the bike frame rails.

Top Bottom