mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Looking for some experience with the best staple gun for seats. I have a craftsman and an arrow but neither does a good job of seating the staples into the plastic. Has any tried the electric staplers or the power shot (saw them both at Lowes)?

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
I have the electric one from Lowes that has the high/low settings. It works OK. If you are only using it for your own seat cover once in a while it worked but if you are going to be installing them all the time I would invest the money in an air powered one for upolstry work.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I used my dads Duo-Fast, its a contractor grade with adjustable power and uses the big staples. It will drive staples into concrete if you want.

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I used an Arrow electric one from Lowes and it did ok, but it took a couple of trys. It didnt seem to go through the plastic that good. You have to really push down hard but the one about the staplle gun that can go through concrete sounds like the way to go.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
its not electric, so it will give your hand a workout. I talked to him and he got it at a local construction supply store called American Construction Supply and Equipment.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My brother took his seat to an upholstery shop and they put the sover on for $10. They also did a much better job than we could have ever done.

jzyz

Jun 28, 2001
I used an arrow manual stapler on mine. The first time I used 6mm staples and had a heck of a time, it came out less than perfect. So I re-did it using 8mm staples and it made a big difference. I think the longer staples had more drive to it.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I am like MikeT. I use a local upholstery shop and they charge me $12.00 and they have the tools to stretch the seat cover as they are putting it on. They use a air powered stapler that cost around 150.00 and does a fanstatic job. I tried about 4 different staplers and they wouldn't even put a dent in the 96 RM250 plastic seat base.

Jer

Feb 4, 2002
Shop

Yup, the upholstery shop is the ONLY way to go. It's very reasonably priced and they do a great job.

After all, they do that kinda thing for a living.

:confused: :scream:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I have always used an arrow t-50 to do my covers. Here's a tip for ya though, to get the staples to go into the plastic good kind of lift the back of the stapler a tiny amount (so basically just the nose touches) it works much much better.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can buy an inexpensive air stapler from Sears and do just as nice a job as the upholstery guy....maybe.:)

I've never ever had good luck with other than a pneumatic stapler.

capt hookleg

May 30, 2001
You can buy a air stapler from Harbor Freight for about $40. Get the one with a 1/2" crown. It works quite well. I've tried the electric ones from sears and arrow and they wouldn't push the staple through the plastic base of the seat, where as the Harbor Freight one will seat the staple completely.:)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Inexpensive pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight & Salvage - I think it's a Chicago Pneumatic brand - that has a 'nose' to get down in the narrow sections. It was ~$50 and makes the job sooooo easy.

Brian

kooade

Jul 12, 2001
Are you guys that are having troubles using staked staples. If you don't the staples try to twist instead of going in. I have no problems with a T50, with the right staples.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
You've got to make sure you put lots of downward pressure on the front of the stapler using your other hand before pulling the trigger. This keeps the front from jumping up and drives the staple in harder.

Larry

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
kooade,
what staples are you using in your T-50? I put a cover on my GasGas seat last night with the same staples I used in my KDX seat base and although I got it on nicely I had a horrible time with getting the staples in all the way. The GG seat base must be made of better stuff than the KDX. Just wondering, thanks.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
"Get the one with a 1/2" crown"
How long of staples do you guys use? I should hope not 1/2 staples, it would seam to me that they would stick into your.... when you sat down. I have an air stapler that can go down to 3/4" but I have not tried shorter staples in it. I usually use the 6mm T50 staples.

kooade

Jul 12, 2001
Most staples are made to work in wood. The end of wood staples are sharp and come to a point on the edge of the staple legs. This causes the staple to twist in and lock in tighter. In plastic they twist before they are fulley seated. For plastis you want staples that come to a point in the center of the stalpe legs. The arrow brand staples do not work well. The ace hardware brand works good. The gas gas seat bases are hard to drive a staple in. This is all hared to explain in print.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom