Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I'm in the process of installing a new seat cover. I started using a manual staple gun, but it does not drive the staples very deep into the plastic seat base. I am using 1/4" staples and have been unable to find an air stapler that can use 1/4" staples. Has anyone used an electric stapler for seat cover installation? Did it drive the staples flush?
Thanks

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
electric usually works but i had a desperate friend who used a manual stapler and just used a small hammer to pound the rest of the staple down. its turned out pretty good.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I use an electric one. Just make sure you get the staples that have the shortest possible legs (5/16" I think). That way they'll fold over into the plastic and won't poke yer a--.

Double check the width is the proper size for your gun. I got my gun from Home Depot for $30 with staples and a blow molded case. The little staples are the important part though!

Tear it up dawg :aj:

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Maybe I'm lazy, but I tried to do it myself, but couldn't do it to my satisfaction. I went to an upolstery shop and they did it for 10 bucks. turned out great. Their secret is steam. Get the cover nice and warm, stretch it when it's warm, then when it cools it shrinks a bit. Hope something in this post helps.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Call some upholstery shops and ask if they have any of used staplers for sale. That's what I did and it paid for itself after a couple of seats.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I went and bought an electric staple gun and used 1/4" staples (6mm wide). After trying it a few times, I've decided to return the staple gun, the staples still don't go in all the way. If I push on the gun so it doesn't kick back, it just smashes the staple off to the side. I think I'll try an air staple gun with a slightly larger staple.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
OK guys. Here's the fool proof way of getting an absolutely primo seat re-upholstery job. Look in your local yellow pages and find an ad for a shop that does Harley re-upholstery. Drop the seat and cover off for a day, plunk down twenty bucks and you are done!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I laid mine out in the sun for the afternoon then put it on with no problems. I use the Craftsman hand stapler and it drives them in just fine. If for some reason the staple doesn't go in all the way, I push it th rest of the way with some needle nose pliers.

Top Bottom