scottsimpson

Dec 16, 2002
I have not raced for 20 years and back then it was only on an 80cc. I used to be pretty good at starting and got lots of hole shots. I will be doing my first race this spring and find myself quite clueless as to proper starting technique. Back then I had my left foot on the peg, ready to shift. Now when I look in the mags and elsewhere people seem to have both feet down for the launch. I am riding a yz250 any suggestions? 1st gear 2nd gear, full throttle etc.

Thanks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Position the bike far enough from the gate so you don’t hit it when it drops. Sit as far forward as you can to keep the front end down. Keep your head over the triple clamp (or further if you can). As you accelerate move your butt back on the seat to improve traction.

Some people like to keep their feet down and use them as outriggers in the event they get cross-rutted they can make a quick stab of the foot. Either way, they’re coming up when you’ve have to shift.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
ya they keep both feet down just in case but they dont necisarily have to bring them up super quick what many people and pros dio alike is shift with there heel allowing them to shift quicker than if they had to bring there foot all the way up onto the peg.... try it and it could mean the difference between middle of the pack and the hole shot....

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I use the left foot up ready to shift technique, I get more control out of the bike with the clutch and when the bike is properly hooking up and driving properly I find this technique faster and more natural to me. Good throttle and clutch control along with knowing when the bike is going to hit hard help more than anything.

Keeping your weight forward is important right off the start, but now you have to take conditions into consideration. Normally when I'm starting in dirt try and pick the straightest line to drive out of. Okay so you got jacked on the choice of gates. Remove all rocks even if you got to dig'em out alittle bit, for ruts try and dig it out straighter. I like to do this before the start as a little bit of a warm up.

Try and stay as relaxed as possible I normally don't put my googles on till the 30 sec board is coming out. I still see people putting them on when the race before them isn't even over yet and fog'em up. Then I put it into gear make any last sec alinement adjustments make sure I'm not gonna get stuck in the gate.

Practice not dropping the clutch asap let it out almost all of the way about 1/2 throttle whatever pulls you good then once your totally over the gate let it out totally then go wfo keep a finger or two on the clutch in case you miss shift and suddenly find yourself bogging or in neutral. This technique works good on concrete starting pads once you get a good feel for how your bike reacts to your clutch and throttle controls you'll be on you way to a hole shot.

Definetly experiment with your body positioning what works for you might not always work for someone else. Always be ready to suddenly apply the brakes in case riders go down in front of you. That and don't be afraid to bump people alittle bit :) have fun!

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
Another tip i've learnt is to sqeeze the bike with your thighs. This helps you keep forward when you start. And unless you can't because of height you should have BOTH feet on the ground. Think about it, if one foot is already on a peg, it is simply imposible to be centered on the bike, or have it standing perfectly strait. And how do you expect a unblanced bike to go strait? (which in case you didn't know is the quickest way to get from point A to point B)

Oh yeah, and PRACTICE until you pass out!!! if you race then you can't practice them enough. (remember, the start is the only place on the track where you can pass 39 riders or be passed by 39 riders....)

Good Luck...

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
What I learnt from the "Dr. D" school of starts.

Take the time to prep you're starting area. Make sure the gate falls smooth and pack the loose stuff at least 15' to 20' out from the start. If possible take a gate where you are not next to a rider and lining up perfectly in the center of the gate may not be the best place to be. Get there early enough to watch how the gate person operates the gate, usually there is a pattern.
When it's time to line up at the gate, be the last one to pull all the way up but leave as much room as possible between you and the gate. Sometimes this means the person at the gate having to tell you to pull up farther.
Wait till the last minute to put on your goggles. Don't do burnout's as you're at the gate, it'll ruin all the prep work you just did. Just rock the bike back and forth a couple of times to help in packing the dirt. (Disregard if concrete)
In the final seconds before the start scoot up as far as you can on the tank, set your butt down and let the skin on your butt sort of roll back. When you take off it'll help keep your weight from an abrupt transfer and help control wheel stands. Don't look directly at the gate, watch it from your peripheral vision. Look where you want to go. Keep both feet down after making sure you are in 2nd gear and hold a constant 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. As you see the gate start to drop it's time to go WFO and control your traction with the clutch. Don't be too quick to bring your feet up, do it in a "flowing motion". The quicker you can get your bars in front of the person next to you the less of a chance you have of going down should you contact. 1st corner you should be last on the brakes and 1st on the gas, remember there is no coasting in racing, it's either full gas or full brakes. (I added that but everyone knows that would be the "perfect" race situation) (The real thing is knowing how much, when and where to do all the above.)

Oh ya, forgot to mention you should look for the shortest / straightest shot to the 1st turn. Sometimes it may be faster to take into consideration the 1st or even 2nd turn on your starts. Make sure you take a line choice that will enable you to make the smoothest / fastest transition to and through the next obstacle.
This concludes all I know about starts that I can put into words.
:laugh:

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Good stuff, Jeff! Some sanctioning bodies/tracks do not allow you to do any prep work on the other side of the gate, so be careful doing that.

scottsimpson

Dec 16, 2002
Thank you very much, you guys have given me alot of information to digest. I can't wait to try what works best for me. Do most of you out there on a 250 start in 2nd gear? It seems to me that 2nd gives me plenty of acceleration and better hook up. Comments?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
LOL Jeff... yes be careful on the before the gate stuff. Red started doing that at a Loretta Lynn Regional for me back in '99 (we had no clue) and boy we found out that it's a no-no pretty quick! :confused:

Scott - 2nd gear is the ticket - especially on the 250. You'll get less wheel spin and have more power and one less shift. In fact - I have always started in 2nd on 125's and my 250F too and have a few holeshots under my belt.

I'm short and light... so my keys are sitting as far forward hips rolled forward. I put both of my feet down and in front of the pegs (actually up by the front wheel) to keep the front end down. I keep my feet down and forward until it is time to shift to 3rd. Make sure not to spring up/back with your body as soon as you take off from the gate or else your bike will also spring up and you won't have as much power to the ground as your suspension will be decompressed (and you might wheelie). Roll the throttle and work the clutch smooth out of the gate then once you're going give it a fistfull and start shifting. Don't shift too soon though... and usually the person that holds it on the longest to the corner comes out towards the front.

Like anything - practice makes perfect. Get out there and see what works for you.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I always used 2nd on a 250 except when indoors, then I used first.

Now that I have a CRF, it doesn't really matter what gear! :confused:
I've seen those new CRF's, the one's with the little red button on the left side of the handlebars, that must be where you set the cruise control right? ;)

Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Good stuff, Jeff! Some sanctioning bodies/tracks do not allow you to do any prep work on the other side of the gate, so be careful doing that.

I'm aware of that, Doug did mention it as a "if you can get away with it" statement.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
I've seen those new CRF's, the one's with the little red button on the left side of the handlebars, that must be where you set the cruise control right?
I'm pretty sure that's the EJECT button. :scream:

Top Bottom