86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I have an 86 KDX 200 and I keep having problems with the stator. I have a brand new flywheel and the stator assy is used but, appears to be in good condition. It no longer produces spark. I tested with a digital multimeter and the white wire with red stripe is coming up dead. I tested the wire itself for continuity and it is good. I am guessing that means my stator coil is shot since this is were the wire goes to. Could someone tell me if I did this correctly? If so, I found a place that will order me a new one for $80. I also noticed it is covered in alot of wax. Would it be hard to replace and do I need to reseal it with wax? Also, the picture in my manual shows the lighting coil on the bottom and stator coil on top. Mine is the opposite. The timing mark and everything else is in the correct place. Would this make a difference?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have an '00, so can't relate from personal experience.

but..if your 'white wire/red stripe' is from the stator, certainly it can't be 'dead', if that means 'open'.

Does where you're measuring from go through a connector to the stator? If so, then what about on the other side of that connecter? Maybe that was covered in your, 'wire is good' statement.......

A new one will be covered/protected as it should be. You won't have to 'wax' it.

On my bike, the lighting coil is on top, the sparky on the bottom. If the two were BACKWARDS for whatever reason, you'd never get anything running. The timing will be completely goofy. Well, if 180º out can be called goofy.

This bike used to run I presume? If it did, then don't worry about where the stator is. It's in the right place. If it never has, I'd be worried about a stator postion that was opposite from the manual.

Hard to replace? No. If you're lucky, the new stator will come with a wire TO the first connector so you won't have to splice anything.

If not, connect it good! You're basic crimp connectors are junk. Soldering can be a problem due to flux wicking, heat damage and vibration issues. If you do solder it, do it right (enough heat so it can be done QUICK, tin both leads, use flux, clean up the connection when you're done, insulate it well (no...NOT 1/2 a roll of black vinyl tape).

Your manual should include resistance readings on different wires to the ignition box.

Make sure the range on your meter is set correctly. Say, if you're using a diode function and wanting to hear a 'beep', you'll need to set it to an ohms function of the right range to check the sparky stator.

What does the 'keep having problems..' part mean? This is an ongoing issue that involved you getting that new flywheel?

Sounds like a headache startin' to happen.

Good luck!

86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I took the readings according to the manual and all are good except the white/red stripe wire, it shows zero. There is no connector, I am testing from that down to the stator assy. I tested the wire itself to see if maybe it was broke inside the sheath somewhere and it is fine.

The bike ran great and then the magnets broke so I bought a new one that came with a stator assy that looked as if someone might have used it once or twice. The dealer installed it all for me and it has not run since. That is when I started testing with my meter. I ordered the stator today anyways and will get it middle of next week. I'll post back and let you know what happened.

Thanks for your info.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom