Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Hey guys,
I was thinking about getting a stabilizer for the Kdx, the scotts one i was looking at goes for about $400. I ride mostly trails, and never really make it past 4th gear. I've never used a stabilizer on a bike before, so I have no idea what to expect out of one. Is it worth it? What exactly do they help with?

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
I have never ran one on my kdx 220, but have ridden others 250's with them on. They really benefit you a lot more in the desert where you hauling over rocks and whoops. If your front end is constantly bucking around then you would benefit from one. They are very nice, especially scotts, but for 400 bucks, i would just dial in your suspension. If you do go with one the scotts is a reliable unit. But for trail riding and not getting past 4th gear, i might look else where. Hope this helps,
Ryan.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
They also work great on the trail, IMO, but you don't want is set as stiff as you do in the desert/whoops.

They will give you better control and confidence in single track, especially if you have lots of roots and rocks. Front end washouts will be a thing of the past.

My first one was a WER on my '90 KDX. Moved it to my KDX250 and then had a Scott's on my CRE. Both Scotts and WER work great. Can't adjust the WER on the move like the Scotts, but the WER is out of the way if you slam into your bars.

Steering stabilizers are one of the best mods you can make to a trail bike, after dialing in your suspension. The only downside is the high cost, but if it helps you avoid an expensive crash, it can pay for itself.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I put stabilizers on all three of my trail bikes. I kept expecting some sort of "magic", I guess, but it never happened.
The ONLY benefit I could discern was reduced "wandering" on fast sand roads. Other than that, I noticed little to nothing in the way of handling improvements.

My advice is; for trails, save your money.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
I guess I was expecting the same "magic" out of using one. Good to know that i should spend my money elsewhere

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
Good call, that is alot of money. Especially for trail riding. I've gotten by without one riding singletrack goat trails on my kdx 220. There's a lot you can do to a kdx for 400 bucks, and not just one item.
Ryan

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Im just finishing up redoing all of the bearings, sprokets, and cables for the whole bike. New rear tire comes in this week, new reeds and airfilter are in and got some spark plugs ready to play around with some jetting. Clutch was done a couple months ago too. Not sure what my next move is gonna be haha

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
That's awesome, should be a whole new bike. What year is your kdx??? You could always use some kind of armor on a trail bike, skid plate, pipe guard, a good set of bark busters, etc. Or go for looks, graphics or seat cover..
Ryan...

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
It's a 95 that I've had for a couple years now

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
$400 goes a long way toward suspension. Springs for your weight would be an excellent place to start. Fredette did fantastic, reasonably priced, valving work on my 220 shock. Gold valves in the front (did them myself) also helped tremendously. You will get way more bang for your $400 if invested in suspension. JMHO.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
They can help with high speed head shake. If you suffer from arm pump or hands going to sleep they help you relax your grip and (maybe) help those problems. If your looking for something magical its not. If your finishing 10th and expecting it to put you in 1st its not.
Suspension work and good bike setup and gearing is best money spent.

Top Bottom