Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Ok, so while my forks are off being sent off to get re-valved, I figure I hsould grease the steering stem. Do i need any special tools to do this?

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Nope,

Just take it apart, clean out the old grease and apply a coat of new waterproof grease of your choice. Very easy to do once the forks are off.

Tom

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Do a search in this forum on greasing the steering stem. Lots of good advice on the type of grease to use, how to clean the bearings, how to adjust properly, etc.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
OK, tonight I took mine apart to grease, It did still have a light coat over everything, but I am still glad I took it apart to check. The nut on the top clamp is a 30mm nut. The top clamp has KX125 cast on the underside. What's up with that? For the locknut, I used a screwdriver and a hammer, one good tap and it came right loose. I tightened it with the same appropriate tap in the opposite dirrection. I use valvoline full senthetic grease.

That's about all the input i have for now. Do I tighten the top clamp down after I get the forks clamped in? If not how do I get them lined up? After I get my forks, I'll take the rear linkage apart.

Top Bottom