xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
Thinking of adding a KDX to the garage this winter and was looking for some opinions. There is a 300-400 dollar difference in the two bikes new and I was wondering if the 200 would be a better bike than the 220 if you were take that money and put it into a pipe, better tires and other little things like that. Should I do a 200 and lightly modify it or the do the 220 and ride it stock?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Take the 200 and buy a pipe and some jets for the carb. Between those two simple changes you'll have a firebreather and a half.

-Maurice

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
No matter which you buy you will probably end up adding a pipe and other modifications anyway.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
A lot depends on how you ride. If you like to rev it out, get the 200. If you like low end torque, the 220 is pretty nice. I have a 220 with the FMF torque pipe, and am amazed at how much low end grunt this small two stroke has. It reminds me a little of my old CZ 400 freight train (except that it handles loads better, actually has brakes, and the parts stay on). Also you should know that the 220 has a shorter warranty, and an O-ring chain. I don't think the 200 has the O-ring.

HTH,
Mike.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
I was going to buy the 220 in 02 but the dealer only had a 200 on the show room floor so I bought it. Never rode a 220 but I love my 200 with only simple mods it runs like a champ and climbs like crazy. Plenty of low end power for tight Colorado trails, the only mods I have done to mine so far is a 12 tooth front sprocket, boyesen reeds, air lid remove, and jets. I am 210# and this bike has yet to let me down in serious conditions, I am an aggressive rider and go on the most challenging trails that I can find. I have heard people claim that a KDX 200 is not enough for a 200# rider and that it don’t have good low end power for steep trails but I have found that to be so far from the truth in my case. I know that I would be equally happy with the 220, but the 200 has really impressed me.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
I torque up hills on my 200 (12-47 sprockets, jetted close, airbox moded) that scare off most of the MX riders... and rightly so... they have to spin like all get out to even attempt them... this comes in really handy when you come around a tight corner only to find a crazy climb 10 yards ahead of you.... the same riders have more control on my KDX on steep hills than they do on thier own MX bikes...

I am told, though have never ridden, that the 220 is considerably torquier... if thats the case, I imagine it would idle up a Redwood tree.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Well is the 220 with the mods more linear (torque & HP)throughout the rpm range or is a modified 200 more linear ? In other words which will end up with the better more useable motor or does it come down to just plain preference?

Considering the following:

Both with modified air boxes

200- FMF Gnarly and Turbine Core
220- FMF Rev and Turbine Core plus RB designs carb mod

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
You're getting to deep. Find a good deal on either one and pipe, air box and jet. You might want to do the suspension first. You'll be happy. :cool:

motorpsycho

Jun 8, 2003
I agree with Dapper.............
I have a modded 220, and my brother has a modded 200......... Having rode both bikes back to back this past weekend I can tell you that the 200 is more prone to wheelspin and seems to rev forever, wheres the 220 hooks up a little better in the transition stuff but needs to be shifted more. Either way you go these bikes are both an excellent choice. :yeehaw:
Keep in mind you *will* mod both bikes. (its addicting)
And the 220 will prolly warrant a piston change. :think:
Hope this helps :bang:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
highmilage - if you'd list where you live in your profile you might get some offers to ride either/both bikes to compare them before you buy. If not - i do not think that you will be dissapointed with either KDX.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I live in Newberg, Oregon and I am within a month of my purchase. I don't want to make the wrong decision. The other bike I am considering is the KTM 200 EXC.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I have thought about the KTM a lot too. But for the price difference, you could do a ton of stuff to a KDX and still have less money invested. $6000+ compared to $4000+ is a big difference. I figured that if I really dumped some hard cash into the KDX, I would still have less than $5000 in it. But at the same time, if I were going to put another $1000 into the KDX, I might as well go ahead and get the KTM to start with. From what I have read, the only thing it needs is hand guards.

Now I am starting to want to :bang: again. :)

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
No doubt, the KTM's are nice bikes. I was debating between the KTM 300 and the KDX 220. I really liked the KTM the best (except the color) , but I would have had to wait for the '05's and pay a lot more. I also like a plush ride in the tight rocky trails I ride, and I heard the KTM is pretty stiff at low speeds. This and the $2000 savings put a KDX in my truck. I sometimes ride with a guy that has the KTM 300, and he loves it. He does say that the suspension is a little harsh in the tight stuff though. The Kawi dealers around me are pretty motivated, so I got my 220 for 4100 with no dealer prep or handling, so I thought that was a decent deal, except for the fact that I went to the shop for a clutch lever for my old bike.
Good Luck,
Mike.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I have heard that the 220's have pistons that can let go. Anybody know what's up with that? I rode a 91' KDX200 for a couple of years, long ago, and it never let me down. I have to say that I ran the dog poop out of it and the only other bike that I have ever owned that were as or more dependable have been the XR's that I have owned. If the 220's have failure prone pistons, then I will most likely get a 200.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It really is a big help.

Top Bottom