cheska4

Apr 3, 2002
I picked up an '02 KDX 200 about a month ago and have put about 200 miles on it so far. Great bike for my riding ability-added the standard guards and so forth---my complaint is the stock chain. I lubricate the chain religiously and always maintain proper tension. I've had to make four adjustments so far. I'm on the sixth position on the snail adjusters and run a consistent 2.7" between the swing arm and chain. I realize that the 200 gets the non-O-ring chain from the factory, but is this amount of stretch normal? Can anyone help me choose an O-ring replacement? Any help would be appreciated. This site has tons of great info. Thanks to all.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
The stock chains wear out pretty quickly, they are typically junk. My stock 426 chain lasted about 5 rides with rigorous cleaning. I got a DID X-Ring chain and talon sprockets. The chain was adjusted once after the first ride and has required no further adjustment in the last 5 to date. Be ready to curse when installing one of these, the master link can be tough to get on. I don't know if they're all that way but the one I had gave me fits. Don't forget to order and extra master link to keep handy when you order the new chain.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I concure.

D.I.D. 520VM X-Ring chain (108 links for stock KDX200/220 sprockets). I use Sunstar sprockets as they have always given me excellent results.

I keep waiting for the chain to wear out. It just seems to keep going and going. :cool:

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I also have a 02 KDX 200. aftr my first break in ride i got rid of the stock chain and put on a RK o-ring chain. I have not yet had to adjust the new chain, I had two adjust the stocker before finishing my first ride.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Xring chains work great. That based on 'imo'. My last one has been on for just about 2 years...still have adjustment to go. No, it's not perfect..has worn some (chains don't 'stretch'), and I could use a new one now. Still, for riding most every weekend, a couple of years is great!

The stock chain is a joke ('00 200. Not o-ring. If grinch lived in the US and his '00 200 came with one, someone had changed it already. But, hey!!!..non-US guys get the 'A' cylinders, too!!)

If you change the chain soon enough (like immediately) you won't have to buy new sprockets in a couple of months.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom