Storing DirtBike in Apartment

Ryan759

Jan 10, 2004
My Apartment/Condo doesn't have a garage and I am tired of keeping my bike an hour away at my parent's house. My other option is Public Storage. I live on the second level and face one flight of about 15 steps. I havent tried it yet, but I imagine I will have to turn the bike on and use its power to go up the stairs. (I will be to the side of the bike) I would probably only take it out 2 times a week max and that would be during decent hours. I don't live in a college style place, it is a place with about 30 condos and most of the neighbors are rich, but fiscally conservative. Fortunately my parents have owned the unit for 20+ years and owners have a little more say in disputes.

My question is: Will I make my neighbors angry?!?!?!?!? and anyone have advice on taking a 125 up a flight of stairs?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When I kept mine in an apartment, I made sure I had a ground level one and I only took it in and out really late at night or very early in the morning.

I would guess that the noise will attract attention and it probably is in violation of some fire codes to be storing a vehicle in the condo...even if you drain the gas out each time.

If I were going to do it, I would get a running start and push it up...and then only at 2:53 am.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Sounds like a huge PITA. Use the money you're saving living in your folk's place to get a some storage close by and save yourself and your neighbors some grief.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Borrow a friend and push it up the stairs. We did that with a buddies bike and he had way more than 15 stairs. It was easy with 2 people. He kept his on the back enclosed porch during the winter. I have mine in the living room right now and even with the gas tank removed it still stinks! If you can store it in a room you dont use than i say go for it. Otherwise find another place to keep it.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
It is a fire code violation, but when I was in college I kept mine inside my aprtment at times. I had a 1st floor unit so it was easy and it didn't bother anyone.

However - The last thing I'd do is fire that sucker up and motor it up the stairs. If you did that I can ussure you that you will have a whole bunch of folks pissed off at you (and dirt bikers in general). Not what you or the community needs...

Do the right thing... Either find a storage place close by or a friend that will store the bike for you.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I have a van I paid $500 for. Its my rolling dirtbike shed. My bike fits in it easy. your 125 should even fit in a cheap Doge Caravan minivan with the back seat removed, you may have to winch down the fork with a rachet strap to get it in a minivan though. Someting to think about, beats a pick up truck, you can keep your gear and bike in it all year long unless your one of those guys that likes to wash your stuff :nener: . I think you would have a lynch mob at your door if you tried to even push the bike up the stairs.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Ask Rich R about this one... he has a little experience. ;) :laugh:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
A little 125.....two people pushing should be no problem....and whats the difference to those who walk up and downstairs from their apartment with their mountain bikes....your just has a motor!!!....and its not odd to keep your bike indoors. How many here have been to the friends apartment where a complete rebiuld was happening on the living room floor...I know Ive seen it more than once!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…