Strange question- how can i SLOW it down?

supermike

Apr 29, 2003
I'm planning on buying my fiance a dirtbike this season. She's never ridden, but really wants a street bike. I feel that its alot safer to learn to ride in the dirt than on the street, so i'm pushing her in that direction (plus it'll allow me to ride more, if she comes along!).

Anyway, i'm thinking something like a CR 80 because its quick enough, and small enough that once she gets the hang of it, she'll be able to keep up with me (not that i'm fast or anything).

TO THE QUESTION- is there any way that i can lessen the impact of the powervalve opening, or maybe disable it for a bit during the learning process? I think she'll get too frustrated learning to ride the thing if it keeps looping on her. Thanks for the advice!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Is getting a good deal on a CR80 more important than your fiance's comfort level? Maybe this bike is really for YOU and not for her, hmm?

Why not get her started on a CRF150, CRF230, or TTR125? A small-bore four stroke will be much easier to learn on, and a lot less likely to "loop out". And compared to a CR80, they are plenty "slow" to begin with. Enough power to get her through obstacles, but not enough to scare her off.

That said, if she wants a street bike, I'd steer her toward an MSF safety class. http://www.msf-usa.org/
It might be easier on both of you if she learns how to ride from someone else (a stranger). Then, once she passes the class and is comfortable with all the controls and workings of a bike, you can introduce her to the dirt bike world. In either case, she'll be ready to take her street bike exam after the MSF class.

If you insist on getting the CR80, you can put a flywheel weight on it-- that will slow down the power output a bit, and help keep it from stalling.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Yeah get a stranger. Safety class is a good idea... I learned that lesson real good many times.. I tried to teach my wife how to drive a standard.... twice, Push.......bounce...in......bounce.....the clutch... bounce.stall. I also taught her to Mtn bike... OK relax a little on the grip over this rough stuff Boiinng... OH no lets get the ambulance a mile out into the woods now. ER till 3am... I taught her to Snowboard too... Lets just say Panic attack. She rips now though!

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
My girl got an RM80 and shes doing great with it. Its not so much the power she had trouble with, but the lack of low end power. All though its harder to learn on I think she has a better understanding becuase of it.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My wife liked the smaller, 96 KX80, but learned on an XR100. If you *really* want her to get interested, a 2 stroke 80 is *NOT* the bike. Go with a TTR or XR. They will both hold their value if she decides to trade up, but will likely be enough without being too much.

I don't believe the CR80 has a PV, but the RM80 has since 93 or 94 and the KX80 has since 97 or 98.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The CR 80 is a rocket. It will flat out move, even with my 200 lbs on it. The size of the bike is great for younger kids or ladies. Overall, it would be perfect, but...

The engine makes about 25 hp. The 25 hp hits at 10, 995 rpm's and lasts until 11,000. Thats it. The powerband feels that narrow. At 10,994 rpm's it makes about 3 hp.

I think she is going to hate the bike. Not the bike as much as the engine. I wish Honda or someone would sell this chassis with the CRF 150 motor in it. I know there is BBR, but I could by two or three CRF 450's for the same price.

Even if the bike costs 500.00 less, you will use up the money in pistons and rings if you ride much at all. It is a great bike for what it is, but in my opinion , not a good learners bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
supermike said:
...because if i buy the CR, i'm getting a rediculously good deal!

Mike.

I agree with the small bore thumper being a better choice, but if you gotta go with the CR you could always add a second head gasket. This will lower the compression ratio and lessen the hit. :thumb:

Another thing that works pretty good is to cut a spacer and place it in between the carb slide and the top of the carb. Use a length of tubing and cut it to limit the slide opening. (Throttle cable goes inside the tubing, return spring goes outside.) As she gets used to the power, you can shorten the spacer and give her a little more throttle. Be sure the tubing is small enough in diameter as not to foul the throttle return spring in any way and cause the throttle to stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom