jayv70

Mar 15, 2005
Looking at trying to make my 1996 KDX 200 Street Legal, has anyone had any sucess in Michigan trying to do this? Before I buy all the parts to make this happen I would like to know if it is possible. Not looking as using it for transportation just to get from trail to trail and not be bothered by the authorities!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yes, it is possible. My KDX is tagged, titled, and liscenses in Alabama. However, as a former resident of MI, I know that it is possible there too. I've seen street legal KDXs in Michigan. You might want to go to the Michigan Trail Riders forum and post this question there. You will get lots of answers from the MI guys who know how to deal with the police and the Sec. of State.

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
Street Legal KDX

I have plated both of my KDX's here in MI. Do a search and theres plenty of prior posts that cover it. You need to go to www.michigan.gov and print a form from Sec. of State site. Its called Vehicle Number/On Road Equipment Inspection Form(TR-54). Rig a brake light, D.O.T. tires, High/low headlight switch,horn,Mirrors and your good to go.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Yea, it's pretty easy to get a plate in Michigan. The requirements are very little, and it seems the officer's rarely even care that those are met. I passed inspection with no brake light and non-DOT tires. I do now run DOT tires and full lighting, including blinkers. I ride to work a lot and figured it was worth it for more visability, although most people tend to notice a bright green 2 stroke ringa-dinging by.

mikdxer got it all on the requirements too. The only snag I hit was the 2 hours at Secretary of State as they tried to figure out how to change my title over so I could get a plate. And Progressive was the cheapest for insurance for me, $206 a year.

Ninja

Mar 26, 2005
Go to rockymountainatv In the search bar type in street legal kit. $ 280.00 will get you a high watt coil,horn,brake switch,mirror,license plate holder ect.. Unfortuneately they are currently out of stock.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom