Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I just pulled apart my 04 RM 250 linkage and greased it up. On putting it back together, I stripped the lower shock mounting bolt. The nut looks ok, but the bolt threads are nearly gone in the middle.

I was torquing to 43.5 foot pounds, like the manual says, and it stripped around 36 foot pounds. This is my first Suzuki. Should I disregard the manual's torque settings? Or did I perhaps cross thread it? It felt fine going on (until it stripped).

I have a new bolt and nut ordered. In the meantime, any downside to drilling a hole through the bolt and nut and safety wiring the thing on for the weekend?

Thanks for your help. I'm coming off a CR250, where I followed the torque table like a bible. Are Suzuki's different? I've heard Honda has the best fasteners and little pieces. Is that really true?

And P.S. - I love this new bike.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'd suspect you either cross threaded or your torque wrench needs recalibration. If you can't torque up the bolt at all; I wouldn't ride. That lower shock mount goes through a lot of abuse and any additional movement caused by a loose mount could cause more damage or breakage. I'd wait on the new bolt, validate your torque wrench is calibrated correctly, ensure you haven't cross-threaded and go for it again. You'll see in another post in this forum that I recently had a lower shock mount bolt come loose on my KX. Fortunately, I caught it before total failure but it could have been bad. Might be a good idea to put a drop of blue loctite on that bolt before torquing too. Good luck.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I drilled a 1/16" hole straight through the bolt and nut last night and put it back on the bike, then safety wired it together. It's snug, but obviously not torqued. It seems fine. Any insights into possible damage this can cause? I plan to do short sessions and check that the wire is still on after every short ride.

Anyone ever do anything like this and care to offer some insight?

As to how I did this - probably cross threaded - but the nut felt like it was going on fine until it stripped.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Did the same on my 250F top mount bolt on rear shock. Middle area of threads pulled off bolt way before it reached the torque spec. Nut looked fine as well which leads me to suspect the quality/grade of the bolt. Went to the local bolt supply house and got new nut and bolt of higher quality. No prob since.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
Exactly - nut looked fine, middle of bolt threads were stripped.

Anyone by chance know where I can get the bolt (and a new nut) other than through Suzuki? It is one of the bolts that doesn't have a hex head - it has the two sided flat head that seats itself on the shock so you can tighten it without holding it. (not sure what that kind of bolt is called)

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Made one for a CR once with a dremel and a standard bolt in a pinch. Worked so well it stayed that way.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I did the same thing to mine before. The torque in the manual is with out grease or lube on the threads. If it's lubed you need to back the torque off 20 to 30%. Saftey wiring like you did is Ok but I'd replace the bolt before you ride it.

I think you'll have to get the bolt through Suzuki since it's a special.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I wouldn't recommend it. MX is dangerous enough. Why push it with questionable machninery. If you have to ride, Evenslower has a good idea. Go out and buy a grade 8 bolt and grind the head to fit with a dremel. Then replace with a Suzuki bolt when you get it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I wasn't clear in my post. It's OK to saftey wire it AFTER you get a new bolt. Don't use a stripped bolt. Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom