Stuck deep in mud, what happened?

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I managed to get super stuck in some deep, thick goo. As I ground to a halt, the muck was just a tad over the axles with water maybe another couple of inches. After a tremendous effort (thx Proxy) and nearly a heart attack, we got it out and back on dry land. It would not start, not even close. It wasn't locked and would kick over, but that's all. Closer inspection and it didn't look like water or muck had gotten anywhere near the carb or airbox, as that area and above was clean in comparision to the gearbox and lower. As I waited on the trail for my buddy to return with a tow strap, I noticed that gas was leaking fairly steadily out of one of the drain tubes under the bike. I shut off the petcock, and it stopped. Opened the petcock and it started draining again, so I rapt (with knuckles) on the side of the carb, nothing. Ended up just closing the petcock until help arrived in the form of a two strap. We pulled for maybe 50 yards before it finally sputtered to life, belching smoke and running like crap for a bit, but then was just fine and no more leaks. I found some clear water and washed off the important stuff like bearings, brakes and chain assembly, and then rode quite a bit more the rest of the day, bike running normally.

So, my question, what happened? Why would the bike not start and what could've caused the fuel to run out of the drain hose like that?

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated.... :cool:

Oct 10, 2004
I bet you got the spark plug/boot wet and it was shorting out on you. It happens to me quite a bit

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Oldschooldeathwish said:
I bet you got the spark plug/boot wet and it was shorting out on you. It happens to me quite a bit

Quite possibly so...but the fuel thing...that was strange, and after we got it started and running well, no more fuel leak...

Lance__a__lot

Oct 27, 2004
Have had something very similar happen. In thick mud and all. Didn't notice the fuel thing but it did flood. No idea what it was. It cleared itself after 5 minutes of running like a donkey having a heart attack.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Some how in all of the confusion your needle and seat assembly didn't seat properly and therefore let gas free flow into the carb instead of the float rising and stopping it. After you banged things around a bit it reseated properly and stopped the gas flow as it should. It may have temporarily gotten a piece of crud in there from all of the stuff that was flying around (from the tank or air filter). You may want to give your carb a good cleaning.

If things got wet enough (where they shouldn't) your ignition could have been shorting to ground instead of though the spark plug.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have seen one of the several hoses sticking out of the carb clog up with mud. The bike would just no start. clipped the tips of all the hoses, and the bike fired right up.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Great...thanks for the replies. I'll give all of the hoses a thorough inspection and the carb a good cleaning. :cool:

If something like this were to happen again, what could I have done on the trail to get it going again, besides drying the plug boot and a long pull with a tow rope?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am with the hose theory for the gas and carb problems. The vent hoses get stopped up with mud and strange things happen--I think if the right one is stopped up and air cannot balance out in the carb it can even leak out the overflow by pressure literally not letting the float valve seat. Really strange things can happen as surface tension holds the mud in the thin lines. Probably did not start becaus water shorted out the electrics somewhere. Go over your bike with silicone seal and seal where line goes into spark plug cap (be sure you have a good cap) and everywhere electric lines go through aluminum. Cheers John

Top Bottom