Stupidity at its Finest

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
Working as I have in the pet trade for the past 20 years. I always get the people who think they know everything there is to know about aquariums.
One day I had a guy come in and was browsing thru the aisles of tanks.. I asked if I could help him and he looks up at me and asks plain as day. "yeah you guys have any Jack Nicholson's".. I managed to hold back the burst of laughter and politely informed him that the fish is called a Jack Dempsey. Named after the boxer for his ability to beat his opponent to a pulp.
I always tell my coworkers that story and we all get a great laugh out of it. I also always tell them that the day I know everything they had better dig a hole and bury my A$$. I learn from my customers almost on a daily basis. That's after 20+ years on the job. So a little humility is a good thing. Always keep an open mind even if you have loads of experience on any given subject you just might learn something. And being in sales I have seen many peoples eyes glaze over at my dissertations. At that point I make sure I am not being to pious or condescending. Or that I am just boring the crap out of them ...........................Red

Agent 007

Dec 30, 2008
I am still laughing at the swallowing saliva comment! All I could picture was someone drooling all over the place! :laugh:

I fully agree that it gets extremely annoying when someone is arrogantly trying to tell me something that is completely untrue, especially in my business. I really hate it when a client of mine argues with me about something to do with my business and they don't believe what I tell them. I then politely give them the correct information and let them make decisions from there.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
mox69 said:
I just want to frickin shoot a bow, I could care less what weight my arrows are, what the camo pattern is or how often I need to change the string. Just tell me next time I need to bring it back to you for maintenance :).
Unfortunately, that attitude can get very expensive. Picture the stereotypical woman visiting the mechanic. While some of us are more particular about the tire compound and/or knob pattern than others, would you simply grab any tire off of the rack, or do do take a moment to find out what type of terrain it is designed for.

mox69 said:
Granted im smart enough to recognize when I'm in over my head. I obviously asked the guy about what maintenance my bow needs, and what to do and not to do.
An excellent strategy, but a used car salesman almost always sounds like s/he know what s/he is talking about. it never hurts do spend an hour or two searching out a reliable second opinion.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
That reminds me of a quote I read somewhere:"never argue with an idiot, they will drew you down to their size and beat you with experience". Stupidity is a plague, I see it everyday. Ah yes another quote, "you can cure desease, you can end world hunger, but you will never rid the world of stupidity". There was a dumb @$$ at Walton last year that decided he was gonna jump two dirt piles like a double, probably 50 feet apart. Well needles to say, he didn't make it. He cased it, got thrown from his bike and broke his shoulder. I asked him if he had learned anything and he replied, "ya I shoulda went faster". The track owner came over to him and told him he had to write a 10 page essay on why he should be alowed back on the property. Not so funny for him but everyone around was laughing at him.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
MXGirl230 said:
Phil took his bike with him to work one day, as he was leaving straight from there to hit the track. One of his co-workers goes out to check out his bike and notices the plug in the silencer.

Seriously, I gotta be the dummy here and ask, "what's that for"? I've seen others with the plugs in the exhaust hauling the bike to the track. I've used a plug now and then if I intend on really agressive washing with the hose or powerwasher, but otherwise...???

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Red 250 said:
Working as I have in the pet trade for the past 20 years. I always get the people who think they know everything there is to know about aquariums.
One day I had a guy come in and was browsing thru the aisles of tanks.. I asked if I could help him and he looks up at me and asks plain as day. "yeah you guys have any Jack Nicholson's".. I managed to hold back the burst of laughter and politely informed him that the fish is called a Jack Dempsey. Named after the boxer for his ability to beat his opponent to a pulp.

That's a good one. Reminds me of years ago, talking to a guy about Whisky, I asked if he had tried Crown Royal. He said "no but next time i'm out i'll try some". Couple weeks later he stopped me and said, "hey, I was at the bar and asked for a shot of Crown Victoria, but the bartender just looked at me funny and said they didn't have it" :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
motometal said:
. . . "hey, I was at the bar and asked for a shot of Crown Victoria, but the bartender just looked at me funny and said they didn't have it" :)
"Sorry son, it won't fit in a glass"
Cl_Ford_Crown_Victoria_05.jpg

gracey

Feb 1, 2008
ford, sure. 1955 was 2-tone pink. How about the Po lice running around in one of those babies!??? Now that would be way cool.

May 9, 2007
motometal said:
Seriously, I gotta be the dummy here and ask, "what's that for"? I've seen others with the plugs in the exhaust hauling the bike to the track. I've used a plug now and then if I intend on really agressive washing with the hose or powerwasher, but otherwise...???
I had mice make a home in my pipe one winter. I've kept a plug in my silencer ever since. :whoa:

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
Well this one time,myself and my buddie were racing through these trails, some people like to drive big trucks through them and make HUGE holes, and we were racing, we ended up jumping from hole to hole untill I missed hard ground and ended up in the mud. This hole was DEEP! It sunk my bike to the fenders in mud and I did a front flip over the handle bars over the mud and onto the hard ground. This was amazing that I didnt get hurt since the only protective gear I was wearing was a helmet and gloves. :yikes:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Filthy_McNasty said:
I had mice make a home in my pipe one winter. I've kept a plug in my silencer ever since. :whoa:

well, I can see that, for the winter storage but otherwise...
do you stick a plug in your car's exhaust every time you stop? If not, why not?

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
If you are hauling a bike around in a truck street or dirt it is a good idea incase you get caught in a downpour. That is the only reason I could see to do it if you were hauling it.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I keep my exhaust plug in anytime I'm finished riding all the way up until the next time I ride just so I can always find it. I have a tendency of losing those things and if I just keep it in the silencer I never have to go looking for it...

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
james.keaton said:
If you are hauling a bike around in a truck street or dirt it is a good idea incase you get caught in a downpour. That is the only reason I could see to do it if you were hauling it.

Ummm, yea, sort of, but really how much water is going to get in there? The hole in the end is not pointed up. I would think "worst case" a little bit would soak into the packing in the muffler, which would quickly just evaporate out the next time.

I think it's just a ritual/habit that people do...doesn't hurt anything but isn't needed.

I've noticed that when people drink pop/soda out of a plastic bottle with a screw on resealable cap, most people tend to continually put this on and off each time they take a drink. But yet, when they have a can, the top is open which is not a problem. More logical would seem to be throwing away the cap as soon as you open it, then just drinking it until gone (unless you are in an environment where it would be likely to spill). Seems like sort of the same thing.

Or how about the board between the tire and front fender for hauling your bike? Some swear by this, others don't do it. I religiously used one for years until an expert told me it would have no significant effect on fork seals or springs either way. Haven't bothered with it since, unless the bike is on an open trailer.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
motometal said:
Or how about the board between the tire and front fender for hauling your bike? Some swear by this, others don't do it. I religiously used one for years until an expert told me it would have no significant effect on fork seals or springs either way. Haven't bothered with it since, unless the bike is on an open trailer.

I use one of those hardened plastic seal saver brace things, but again for a use other than trying to save my seals. I just use it because I feel it makes the bike on the trailer quite a bit more stable. Since you are ratcheting it down to a solid mount rather than squishy suspension, I just feel it gives a bit more stability...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
For anyone who has watched the horror of a bike bouncing off an open rail trailer, not my bike though! Guys used to cringe when I tightened mine down, well, tie your own down then? We used to hillbilly boards, deflated sports balls or whatever in them, now they have a fancy store bought board, to loose as well? Put a butt plug in the exhaust, ahh what next?

Top Bottom