grim sweeper

Sep 29, 2003
Couldn't find any info on forums-any one use sub tanks off road? They supposably offer a plusher suspension,work better over braking bumps,(maybe roots and rocks too?). This is for an '03 RM 250 with stock suspension.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
grim sweeper said:
Couldn't find any info on forums-any one use sub tanks off road? They supposably offer a plusher suspension,work better over braking bumps,(maybe roots and rocks too?). This is for an '03 RM 250 with stock suspension.

As long as you have the right springs for your weight you will love the subtanks. The trick is not to open the valves too much. If you do the forks will ride to low into the travel and give a harsh feeling. I have had enzos and the Framebreakers tanks and I find the sweet spot on both are around 1.5 to 2 turns out.

I also have the same bike and got fed up with those KYB's and through on a pair of showas I got off egay that fit a rm125. I never did put on the tanks for the old forks on this bike since it's my woods bike but either tanks or a set of showas will be a big improvement. The used showas that I revalved for woods riding were actually cheaper than a set of sub tanks.

grim sweeper

Sep 29, 2003
Thanks for the feedback,I always thought my sons rm125 forks felt better,figured it was because the bike is lighter. The 125 forks would have to have a higher rate spring, otherwise they are a bolt on item,correct?

grim sweeper

Sep 29, 2003
Checked out link to aircell,(was actually looking at the framebreakers) the info indicates they would solve all the problems with my forks-even head shake,which I thought was a result of frame geometry!

drrty

Mod Ban
Sep 13, 2006
I have sub tanks on my YZ (YoT prototypes that my suspension guy got his hands on), and love them. I do a mix of track and off-road/woods, and they make a definitely noticeable difference in the plushness of the ride. Last weekend, I really noticed the difference in the slick stuff, and over a few downed limbs/branches. Like the poster above said, though....if you don't have the right springs for your weight, you are wasting your money if you put on sub tanks. The whole system has to work together and be set up together, it all goes hand in hand. It's extra money, but well worth it in the end, I think.
FWIW, I run mine dead in the middle, 4 turns out. I'm 250 lbs., and I've taken some pretty good landings from 15' +, with no bottoming.

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
grim sweeper said:
Thanks for the feedback,I always thought my sons rm125 forks felt better,figured it was because the bike is lighter. The 125 forks would have to have a higher rate spring, otherwise they are a bolt on item,correct?

Yes it is a good idea to the right springs for you. I believe 03 through 07 125 and 250 forks will bolt right up. It really suprised me but when I first got the forks off a 03 125 and rode them with the stock springs (just revalved) they were still amazing. I weigh around 180 and the stock springs are like .41 or .42. By the way the 03 125 fork springs are different than most showas, honda and most suzuki's. So my showa springs I had layin around didn't work but after that year they are all the same. You can refrence them on the race tech website spring calculator.

Hey drrty, what kind of tanks do you have? I thought enzo did all the YOT bikes. Enzos only go out like 4 to 5 turns out... Interesting.

drrty

Mod Ban
Sep 13, 2006
My tanks were made by Enzo for YoT. They are very similar to the current Enzo tanks, but they have 8 turns of adjustment. I run them dead in the middle at 4 turns, and they are absolutely perfect. My suspension guy is pretty tight with some of the YoT peeps, so he happened to get his hands on these last year. He was holding on to them, thinking he would use them on his '04 YZ250, but he wound up trading the bike in for an '06, so he had no use for the tanks. I had to threaten him with great bodily harm, and offer up some cash, but he gave them up. :) I wouldn't give them up for anything now. My lap times on my track have dropped 2-3 seconds since getting the sub tanks, and I've noticed on my video that I'm riding WAY harder into the corners than I used to, and clearing jumps that I used to pull short or land on the top of the down-side.

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
drrty said:
My tanks were made by Enzo for YoT. They are very similar to the current Enzo tanks, but they have 8 turns of adjustment. I run them dead in the middle at 4 turns, and they are absolutely perfect. My suspension guy is pretty tight with some of the YoT peeps, so he happened to get his hands on these last year. He was holding on to them, thinking he would use them on his '04 YZ250, but he wound up trading the bike in for an '06, so he had no use for the tanks. I had to threaten him with great bodily harm, and offer up some cash, but he gave them up. :) I wouldn't give them up for anything now. My lap times on my track have dropped 2-3 seconds since getting the sub tanks, and I've noticed on my video that I'm riding WAY harder into the corners than I used to, and clearing jumps that I used to pull short or land on the top of the down-side.

Just qurious, can you tell me about your setup? Bike, oil level, spring rate...etc...

I'm wondering if a higher oil level would require opening up the tanks more.

Chris.

drrty

Mod Ban
Sep 13, 2006
chrismxer said:
Just qurious, can you tell me about your setup? Bike, oil level, spring rate...etc...

I'm wondering if a higher oil level would require opening up the tanks more.

Chris.

Unless you are the same weight as I am, +/- 10 lbs., my setup won't do you any good...
BTW, I am 268 lbs. in full gear.

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
I didn't want to use your set up, I was just qurious if a really high oil level would require you to open up the tanks more? Or in other words what type of set up would benefit from subtanks opened up that far? I know what works for me and have tried all types of setups but none that ended up with the tanks opened up half way.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom