m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
ok guys, i was thinking of buying a crf250x. but, before i go waste a bunch of money i figure since im going to keep my current bike which is a 99 cr250r that i will mess with this one.
i love tight trails that have rocks, roots and ruts. i have a hard time keeping the bike on track, its just a wheelie machine. i ride insecond to calm it down but it still is so strong. say for example ill be in second gear ill come out of a corner and have to go up a good size hill the bike will want to stand up. i can sit way up on it and it still comes up. i was thinking what kind of gearing would you guys run and what size flywheel weights. maybe you guys could share some before and after stories if you have done this to your bike. thanks for the help guys.

-mike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
learn to ride the bike. Grip the bike with your knees, move your weight forward, use throttle control and slip the clutch when the front end comes up.

a 250x will have half the power and another 30lbs.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea, i do all that stuff, ive been riding for a while so i tried a few different things. ive heard that the bike i have when set up correctly its a great bike for the woods. do you have a suggestions for different gearing? thanks for the help.

-mike.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You don't want to gear it down if you're already having trouble keeping the front down. Slipping the clutch is very important, like Matt said. On a 2t the clutch is your best friend. I know you said you do this, I'm just re-iterating the importance.

A flywheel weight would probably be great. Another thing you can do is get the jetting spot on to smooth out the hit when it gets on the pipe. Make absolutely sure the rear sag is set properly. You want to probably go on the high side of spec with the sag if you're riding offroad. As an MX bike, the valving is going to be stiffer which can def make the bike more prone to riding the rear wheel at unexpected moments. It is 10 years old, so it would probably be a good idea to have your suspension done by a knowledgeable suspension guru and set up specifically for your weight, normal conditions, and riding style if you haven't already. It's going to be expensive, but probably the most bang for your buck as far as making the bike more trail capable overall.

There's also the auto clutch, if you want to take it that far. I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet, but I understand they are very woods friendly. Darn near everyone I've talked to about them that has one or has used one likes them.

There's my 10 cents worth. I say keep the smoker! :ride:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '99 that was set up by an AA enduro rider. It was an outstanding offroad trail and race bike, but it was like a magazine project bike as far as goodies.

Suspension was revalved by Factory Connection at both ends, but the stock forks were replaced with Paioli conventional 46mm forks.

Scott's steering damper.

Stock pipe and porting

Carb and ignition from a '97 CR250R (it had the powerjet carb)

Carbon fiber reeds

Answer spark arrestor

E-line lighting coil (acts like a flywheel weight)

Oversize front brake rotor with staineless steel hose

13/49 gearing (let's you hold first and second longer than the stock 13/50

18" rear wheel

Dunlop 756 or Michelin S12 tires

Titanium pegs

Zip Ty shark fin rear disc protector

Clark 3.2 gallon tank

Grip warmers

Pro Taper bars,

Skid plate, etc...

Loved that bike! In many respects, riding it was like riding a dialed in '05 KTM 250 exc, but with a close ratio gear box and a little more vibration.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I saw a CR500 in the current Cycle World that was converted to street.. You wouldn't recognize it as a CR500 cept for the engine, It's pretty sweet.

You could always do something like that to it.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thanks guys for all the help. i have factory connection suspension on my bike and it was set up for a rider of my weight. i double check the sag on the bike. i shouldnt have to rejet the bike seems to be very good. you guys gave me alot of good info, thank you very much.

-mike.

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I suggest a flywheel weight. I've been riding a 92 250 since december, and at first had alot of trouble in the woods. The last hare scramble I rode it without a weight and I did ok, but it wore me out. I put a 13oz weight on it last week and tested it out this weekend. The 13 is a little bit much for me. It's alot easier in the trails but a little bit to tame. I'll prob shave it down to 10-11oz and see how I like that.

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
I have a 97 Cr250R, I ride it in n.west NJ and PA tight woods and trails. I did the following mods and the bike runs great in the woods, major improvements and it still rips when you have a straightaway. The only things I'm changing are the rear sprocket- I'm going to a 49, and adding a larger fuel tank. To be honest, the 14oz weight, steel clutch plates, and Gnarly pipe make a big difference. I spent some time to get the jetting correct, and it runs smooth and clean. And last, I spent some money to talk to a local shop and discuss the way I ride and they tricked up the suspension so it was smooth.

14oz flywheel Weight
Steel Clutch kit & springs
ProCircuit Spark arrestor Nature Friendly model
FMF Gnarly Pipe
ProMoto Billet Side Stand
Brush guards
Rear Sprocket 51 tooth
DB Snorkel for silencer
Front forks & rear shock completely rebuilt and setup

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
It may sound low tech but for good control in steep hills I like the throttle cam from G2 ergonomics set to a softer curve (number 400). I find it makes wonders along with one tooth more on the rear sprocket.

Top Bottom