Supermotard

Recently I have decided I want to get a motorcycle for the road. Ideally I would love to have a sport bike but here in Quebec the insurance and yearly plating for them are going higher each year. They are essentially going to make them so expensive to put on the road that a good number of people will just have to move to less high performance bikes. I am looking into getting a supermotard, something like a Drz400 or Xr. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? How does a sport touring compare to a sport? I'm just curious whether I am making a good choice or maybe there are other bikes that are more fun that are also cheap on insurance. Let me hear your opinions.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of the supermoto bike on the street. On a sport bike, they don't really come into their own until you're running above 70 mph. On a supermoto bike, you can have the time of your life in a parking lot at 30 mph. Plus, if you crash it, you can pick it up and keep on riding (hopefully before the highway patrol gets there ;) ).

Looking at your desires and options, the DRZ400 looks like a fun bike, but have you considers the less sporty sport bikes? Instead of the R6, Yamaha hase the FZ6 which is slightly lower on performance and a little better as far as comfort goes. Also, Suzuki has the SV bikes which will probably be less expensive to resiger and insure than the GSXR line.

As far as I know, the DRZ400 is the only factory supermoto style bike on the market, and it comes road ready, so IMO it is the only option if that is the route that you want to take.

My local KTM dealership has abajillion supermoto 525's and such. It think they're street legal in CA.

There's some former East German company (I think) making reasonably priced SM bikes...I'm thinking MZ is the name? I've seen several of the KTM SMs around here...awesome looking machines.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Cool, thanks for all the comments, I am still a little undecided whether I should put all the money and effort into getting onto the road or maybe i should just stick to the dirt. I have to keep in mind half the year I can't even ride!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
I have to keep in mind half the year I can't even ride!
I think you should rephrase that :yikes:

Otherwise that sounds like you are admitting that a Canadian can only ride in good weather, your Canadian bretheren will be all over you for that slip of the tongue ;)