Snowblind

Apr 22, 2001
How do you get the straight through core out?

Are all supertrapp muffler repackable?

I just see no way to get it apart without breaking it, any ideas?

What should i use for packing?

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
I'll assume you have the 4" round, original style Supertrapp and NOT the IDS?

The core can be a beeeotch to get out of there! My last one I never could get it out. There is a tab where the cannister clamps onto the pipe, this needs to be pryed up and then the core can be worked out of the silencer from the BACK. If the pipe is old it will be a character building experience to say the least.

:scream:

Last edited:

Snowblind

Apr 22, 2001
Yes i have the old 4" style

I took the muffler of and put the the the closed end piece back on with four bolts took a hammer with a long enough handle for nail and claw end to sit on the ground with the handle sticking up and still reach the back plate (ie a upside down T)

I then place the muffler starting from the clamped end of the muffler when on the bike over the handle.

I could then lift the muffle about 4 inch or so and while holding the outside part push it down with alot of force it didnt move after a few trys so just put it back on didnt want to break the damn thing

This was a all metal hammer too.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I know this is locking the barn door after the horse is gone, but...

I always disasseble a new muffler as soon as I get it - put antisieze on the threads, replace any rivets with pem nuts, put in the correct amount of packing (sometimes there's not enough, normally there's too much).

Then we repack after every 500 miles or so of riding on the thumpers, after a weekend of riding on the two strokes.

I have purchased bikes with aluminum mufflers which have never been repacked. Bad news is, in most cases, the carbon is so welded to the aluminum that you can't get them apart.

Try the heat, try banging on it with a rubber mallet, stay patient -- but if it doesn't come apart after working on it for 1/2 hour or so -- leave it.

After a few years, the aluminum gets brittle and worn. Sometimes there's an actual lip inside the cannister where the steel baffle has worn into the aluminum. Basically it's welded itself together - no removing the baffle without destroying the cannister.

BTW, the 3" steel supertrapp does not require repacking.

Snowblind

Apr 22, 2001
Aye, I would have done the same thing if I would have been the one to buy it when it was new. It came off my 1987 XR600 no telling how long its been on there. I got the bike in 12/99 used

I want a new KTM 400 but i dont get to ride enough to justify it:(

Top Bottom