KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
Please reply if your RFS is or has been going fine, especially no mechanical problems.

01 400EXC no break downs, routine service, 2500km, sold to friend and still going fine.

02 520 EXC 600km no issues. yet?

Need to see the real picture.

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
I'm watching for all the usual problems, coolant splooge, rear hub, countershaft seal, but knock on wood, so far zero problems, 310 miles.:cool:

Jo - EXC 520

Dec 17, 2000
Hi,

I have a 520 EXC (2001 model) . About 2000 Km (1300 miles)

Only "problem" are the seals of the WP forks.
I had to replace them 4 times already...

Jo

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
1996 XR400, very used and abused, 3rd owner, no leaks, no creaks, still runs like new...

1987 XR200, very used, all original motor/tranny, no leaks, no creaks, still
runs like new...

I'm sorry folks, I couldn't help it. Your KTM's are very sweet bikes. However, for what you pay for them, and being that new, you better not be having any problems with them!!!! XR's RULE, in my little world anyway.

Good luck to all of you, with whatever bike you have, keep on thumpin'!!!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I have one of first of the RFS's to reach the states,(00'520 arrived in April 00') .
Sevaral H/S's, couple of MX's, and alot of hard trail riding, dont know the mileage but I'll guess at 2500. Not a single mechanical problem. Suspension work done last year, increased spring rates and dampening for my weight.
The best d/b I ever owned.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
2001 KTM 400 SX

2 Arenacrosses, 4 Motocrosses, 2 Enduros, 1 Harescrambles and has been ridden at least once a week since April.

Only replaced one fork seal since it was new And that was just last week. Other than that zero problems. If only all high performance, low weight four strokes were this durable.

Hey snaggleXR4,

I agree, honda 4-strokes last forever, but would you jump a 80' douple on your 400????:p

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
01 400exc. done 3000+km rides on road only.(Street/ highways) sealevel temp of 24-34*c installed a cooling fan. regular maintenance/ oil change. (fully synthetic oils) rides fine so far. hopes no problems crop up.:)

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
00-400exc close to 2500 mi
boiled over till i started using redline waterwetter,had off idle hiccup,had to adjust accelerator pump,no engine problems ,just eats alot of chains and sprockets,tried different brands and metals even sidewinder,probably my poor riding style ,using to much engine braking

Last edited:

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by KTM400EXC#232
Does it seem that all the rest of you (230 hits) have had mechanical issues?:D
Sorry, just too busy out riding! :confused:

New rear wheel bearings at 900 miles due to the aluminum wheel spacers grooving out and letting moisture in. Replaced them with steel spacers with no problems at 1600 miles.

Miscellaneous parts:
Shifter tip broke, fell on a rock. Rider Error.
Clutch hose, rubbed a hole in it on the front brake line (dealer mis-route on the clutch hose). Expensive, $65 for OEM hose! Ran the new one in fuel line to armor plate it from end to end.

Change oil every 200-300 miles (trail riding exclusively).
Change filters every 2 oil changes. Golden Spectro 4, 20-50W Synthetic Blend.

Anssi

May 20, 2001

Does it seem that all the rest of you (230 hits) have have mechanical issues?:D

I still have about 20 imaginary riding hours to go before I get to break in my -02 520 SX. It should leave the factory this Friday. I would like to hear about the RFSs that have had problems, too, so I would know what to expect.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Originally posted by Coach in ND
2001 KTM 400 SX

2 Arenacrosses, 4 Motocrosses, 2 Enduros, 1 Harescrambles and has been ridden at least once a week since April.

Only replaced one fork seal since it was new And that was just last week. Other than that zero problems. If only all high performance, low weight four strokes were this durable.

Hey snaggleXR4,

I agree, honda 4-strokes last forever, but would you jump a 80' douple on your 400????:p

Hehehe, you got me good there. Nothing personal guys, I just like giving you KTM guys a hard time. But, no, I would not even think of jumping that stuff. My tank of a bike stays on the ground, most of the time.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
'01 400 exc, bought used. had to replace bad radiator cap due to overheating, that's it. bike has probably several hundred miles on it.

for some of you other guys: your fork seals will last alot longer (like almost forever) if you put booties on them. i have a set i got from holeshot on my '00 200, i have yet to lose a seal after 1 & 3/4 years of hard riding/racing. they are cheap, too.

the excessive wear on chains & sprox may be caused by running the chain too tight. try this: level out the swingarm, either by removing the shock or by compressing the shock with your bodyweight or a tiedown or something; then adjust the chain that way. you'll be surprised at how loose it is, but it works.

MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
into my second year with the 01 520sx. used for mx only. nothing has really broken. the clutch cover gasket started leaking once, so i had to replace it. and the coolant hose under the tank that doesnt have a real clamp on it fell off a couple of weeks ago. i was lucky, it was on the way back to the pits after practice, so i knew it when it happened.

JEFF SAND

May 24, 2001
I received my '01 520 exc in November 2000 and have ridden it every weekend since. So far no problems other than a loose battery cable:) Awesome bike in that regard.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
I have had my '01 since nov 00 and have had no problems. Lots of dual sport miles on dirt roads with some pavement miles too. Just ride it sanely in a smooth and easy manner. Do your racing in the dirt .

Lawman, you are exactly right about the chain being overtightened on most of the bikes. It's real easy to do on this bike. There is an excellant article this month in KTM's Underground magazine regarding chain adjustment. Everyone who owns a KTM should read it.

Howard

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
From your three posts:

Please reply if your RFS is or has been going fine, especially no mechanical problems.
----------------
Does it seem that all the rest of you (230 hits) have have mechanical issues?
----------------
Need more replys Guys, we've got to get the BIG picture right.

I'm confused. Are you looking for responses from people without major problems or from everyone?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

Survey, bikes WITHOUT problems?

Please reply if your RFS is or has been going fine, especially no mechanical problems. .............................

Need to see the real picture.

Hmmmmmmmmm:think

You're asking specifically for replies fom those who haven't had problems (to exclude those that have had problems, I suppose).

How does this give you a real picture?

Last edited:

guyb

Mar 3, 2001
I agree,
How can yu get the real picture without getting replies from those who have had problems? Bit like looking at the world thru rose coloured glassses:confused:
For what it is worth, here are my details:
'01 400 exc
ridden every weekend. mostly trail rides
serviced meticulously
200klm-speedo fails (fitted panoram no problems)
500klm-blown fork seals
1500klm (approx) collapsed camshaft bearing
2000klm-replaced rear wheel bearings
Still think it is a great bike despite the above.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
The Real Picture

The real picture is that people who have problems, are probaly more likely to post, than people who have not!

Top Bottom