cooker318

Nov 15, 2002
Hey all,

I have an '02 KDX200 which i've had for about six months now. The bike rocks but waking it up some more doesn't hurt. After having put on the FMF torque pipe and the air box mod I was trying to decide what else would help that would be the biggest bang for the buck in the woods.

Lately i've been looking into silencers--has FMF had come out with one of the Q 2-stroke silencers for the KDX yet? Or does the Turbine Core 2 still keep the sound down for the neigbors.

Also--the suspension is good but sometimes it seems a bit unbalanced. It handles good, except when I go through the woods fast. The forks seems to bottom easy while the shock likes to bounce around quite a bit (my friend has noticed this as well). I'm 5'8", 135--any suggestions? I'm young and used to just getting on and riding--not much experience with this kind of stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Landon

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
The Q is available for your bike, but it isn't the biggest bang for your buck. It's lighter, and better looking compared to stock, but don't expect big gains, small if any. Jetting your bike correctly will give you the biggest gain, and it's cheap.

As for suspension, try a couple clicks in (compression) for your forks. For the rear, set the preload to around 100mm and adjust the clickers. Since the rear was bouncing, try a couple clicks out on the rebound (the bottom screw), and fine tune as necessary. Use the compression clicker to balance the rear to the front. Being 135, you shouldn't need heavier springs, the clickers should do. You'll be able to ride faster for longer with a better suspension setup.

Just my two cents,
Tamean

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Every KDX is going to have at least one spring that is wrong. If truning the clickers on the bottom of your forks in 2-3 turns won't help then get stiffer fork springs. But with your weight you might need a softer rear spring instead. If you are a fast rider it may be OK and the fork springs may need to go to .38's.

www.MX-tech.com

http://www.frpoffroad.com/

Check with these fellas for parts and advice.

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
For me it was the tha carb work! and the Fredette porting. also the Cel or the Cek needle made it much funner to ride!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check CDave's site for basic mod info and jetting start points.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

How the rear was bouncing will make a difference what you adjust. 'Too bouncy' could be resolved with either LESS compression (top screw) or MORE rebound (bottom screw).

...or MORE compression and LESS rebound ;). Depends on where the 'bounce' is.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Others may beg to differ but on mine the Power Core II made a noticeable performance gain. Its still quieter than mx bikes.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
On the forks do what Fred T said, adjust the clickers first. I'm 155 lbs, I changed the rear spring to a 4.8. It has settled the back of the bike down a lot.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
"For me it was the tha carb work! and the Fredette porting. also the Cel or the Cek needle made it much funner to ride! "

What differences do those needle's make compared to a stock needle?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
does the fork has have compression AND rebound clickers. i only know about the one at the bottom of each fork, is this rebound or compression? and im 180lbs and i know i should get heavier fork springs but what should i have my fork and shock clickers at for pretty big jumps that bottom my suspension?

cooker318

Nov 15, 2002
Alright i'll try adjusting the suspension settings and see how it works. Then, get it jetted right for now. Thanks a lot for all the information!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
With the CEL needle, you get a MX style hit. I'd do all the cheap stuff first. My bike has a lot of modification to it. So the needles might give me a bit more performance? Getting her breathing (pipe/TCII, air box lid) and jetted correctly. Will get you the most improvement! :thumb:

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
they seem to have you coverd on the siliencer question, but on the suspesnion id call FCR or check out his web page he set my kdx up for this seasion on GNCC racing, and does my mx bike and both of my brothers bikes, and he is #71, Bob at FCR also does pro gncc pilot cole calkins suspension. his work is top rate. right from the box the kdx is unblanced u definatly need to talk to someone to get the right springs for ur weight in the fron of the bike. hope this helps

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
be careful setting your suspension dont make it too stiff you will bounce all over the trail. Biggest bang for my buck so far has been Boyesen power reeds!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom