XRMike

Nov 12, 2000
Does anyone have any recommendations or know where I can find information on how to get more power out of a DRZ250. My uncle has one of these and loves it except for the fact that it is lacking a bit in the power department. About the only aftermarket mod I can find is a pipe (and it seems only high dollar ones at that). Can the pumper carb be rejetted for some extra power. This bike feels quite dead compared to my slightly modified XR250 (K&N, rejet and exhast baffle).

Thanks,
Mike

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
DRZ mods for power

XRMike;

I just bought a DRZ250 also. Immediately put on Yoshimura slip-on exhaust(my mechanic said header pipe probably wasn't the extra $$.) I think they are the only people who make after market pipes for these bikes right now. And they are great with suggestions for carb adjustments which you will need after you install one. Unless you like a LOT of noise, I highly recommend the "tunable end cap- T.E.C." option. It gives you 3 noise levels, very easy to change.

Took the snorkel out, still need to open airbox more, will get twin-air filter also. I'm amazed at how good the stock suspension is, but I'll look into what other improvements I can make on that as well.

I looked hard at a new XR250 also, but the DRZ for the same price with electric start seemed like an easy decision. Hard to beat those XR's though, we just bought our fourth one! (The whole family rides...)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I hear this guy is pretty good with the DR suspesion. I have a set of the links for my DR ready for install. I will do it this weekend and hopefuly get to take it for a spin.

tuckers20

Mod Ban
Dec 2, 2005
Hey im thinking of buying a bike and i was thinking about a 2004 xr250r, or a 2004 drz250. which one is better and which one can be modded more. Is it true that the drz has alot of bottom end and no top.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
tuckers 20;

I had an 02 drz250 and chose it over the xr250, i think, because the drz had electric start. I'm sure both are good bikes, BUT they don't make the xr250 anymore so that may drastically affect resale??? I don't know.

I'm sure there are a LOT more after market products for the xr. There's a company or website, "xr's only" or something like that! Google it!

These bikes are not good for mx but you probably already know that, at least not for very high jumping.

As far as topend/bottom end, to me the 4 strokes have pretty even power thru the rpm range, but I will say when you get the revs up high on that drz it flies! That's where it feels like the most power kicks in. I noticed the same thing on my Yamaha yz250f, which is a better bike if you want to ride trails AND get up in the air too-

Good luck!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah there are a few places with XR250 hop up parts, I think my bike is a catalog for all of them plus some! :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom