ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I got this bike a few weeks ago and am going through it from top to bottom and greasing and checking everything over. I am now at the swing arm and am wondering with the rear wheel off and the swing arm fully extended down will there still be spring pressure on the bolts that hold all the suspention stuff together. Dont feel like having all the parts go flying everywere when I remove the bolts.
Any tips and I was going to put grease fittings on the swing arm. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
Nothing is spring loaded. You can do a search and find some info on installing grease fittings on the swingarm. I thinks it's best to tear it all down at least once per year to make sure everythying gets greased, failure to do so cost me a few hundred bucks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
suspension maint

Given that you didn't say if it was new or new-to-you...count on buying some bearings. The shock bearing is usually toast.

Things don't 'go flying'. If the bike has had suspension parts replaced, and pivotworks bearings were used (a common supplier), be aware that their bearings are uncaged! You could have a bunch of little bearing rollers 'flying all over the place'.

You COULD have a simple suspension like the ktm (no bearings at all..shock mounts directly to the swingarm). But then, you'd have a suspension that was hard as a rock compared to the kdx, too. Orange is for pumpkins.;)

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I don' know what your bike is like but mine is a 2001 KDX. Each side of the swingarm has two bearings which are evenly spaced in their bore. There is a space between them where grease can be delivererd thru a zerk. On the left side I installed it from the top and the right side is from the bottom. Ease of access and lack of room will be the determining factors in the placement. The placement on the left side is quite close to the chain guide and I carved a little out of the guide to allow the zerk guaranteed access to the opening inside the s-arm while keeping the chain guide straight.
Also on the swingarm where the tie rods(if I recall correctly) attach, the bearings are also equally spaced. I installed a 45deg. zerk coming in from the rear. This is right in front of the tire. There is no room from the front 'cause the arm-suspension-unitrak travels there.
I did nothing to modify the seals. When the greae goes in it will decide if it comes out the left side or right, following the path of least resistance. You want it to come out from both. To do this I used a small (6in) prybar to push the s-arm to the other side and lessen resistance while injecting grease. Works great! The tie-rods however needed to be loosened for grease to escape 'cause they are torqued pretty well. This is no problem though, a couple of minutes work.
When I first did this I was greasing after each ride but I've gotten over the novelty of being able to and think it was just over-kill. Now I just do it once in a while/monthly. This summer I'll take it apart and check the integrity of the seals and general condition of the bearings. I'm pretty confident of how they'll look: nice clean grease oozing out from the bearings means there is nice clean grease inside. BTW, I did my rear-wheel too when I had it apart to replace the bearings. Works great also.
If my explanation leaves you with questions or you need a picture, let me know. Good luck.

perryj1

Nov 26, 2001
your cool just rip it apart. Dependiing on the year you'll probably need new bearings. I had to replace my s-bearings in a 99 yz so whats that tells ya?

Good luck they're not cheap!:scream:

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Kevinkdx-I took some but apparently can't post them here 'cause I'm not a supporter or whatever. I scan a couple for ya and e-mail 'em. Can't promise it for tonight though but I'll try. DVO

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
Thanks man!! I'm overprotective cuz i just took it apart awhile ago and they were shot os i got new ones and i don't want it to happen too many more times!:aj:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Suspension greasing

I wonder sometimes if anyone does any searches for past threads on such topics.....

...and then I try finding something I KNOW should be there, and then I understand 'why bother looking?'

Anyway, searching for 'swingarm' 'zerk' 'grease' and a bunch of other stuff doesn't find it, but there was a post not too long ago by someone that had put fittings in their kdx suspension, had a URL for pics and quite a writeup on it.

Anyone in this thread know where it went?

It's not in the archives, either.

Anyway, there WERE some decent pics within the past few weeks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
sheesh BRush..

As quick as you are with responses I wonder if you're following me around JUST to answer my stoopid questions..

except....

I already done been there...and while I thought it was tantrum that posted it, the only thing that his URL shows is bearing/sleeve condition...not the finished product. There are a total of 5 pics, and the fittings in the pieces isn't included.

So...stoopid question #xx, what am I missing?

Thanks

edit:

Ah yes. NOW I recall reading it before.

A mind...a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
If I recall I started one and a couple of days later, Tantrum started one also and we rolled with his. He was having trouble getting his photos on a site or something to that effect.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
kevinkdx, ya gotta empty your mail account. I get a message that says your account is full and I gotta wait to send you stuff. OR send me your regular E-mail address in a PM.
DVO

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom