Eview326

Jul 7, 2003
i just got a pivot works swingarm bearing kit for my kdx, i looked in my shop manual on how to replace the swingarm bearings and it didnt say anything, can anyone help me out here?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Nothing to it! LOL

Tried doing a search yet?

Thats where I got most of my info on how to do it, hope yours comes out as easy as mine did :laugh:

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
I'm wraping up the replacement of a 01kx250 linkage as I write this. I made a bearing press out of a lag bolt and nut, coupled with various sized sockets and washers. Just press out the old ones and press in the new. Good luck with it.

Eview326

Jul 7, 2003
that might sound kind of dumb but i am kind of new at this so if someone could walk me through it it would be apreciated

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
1) remove rear wheel

2) remove linkage arms from swingarm......underneath

3) remove swingarm bolt

4) the bearings are pressed into the front end of the swingarm (the side near the engine) - there will be some spacers and sleeves as well

5) other work you might consider at this point - changing bearings and sleeves on your linkage, overhaul your rear shock, rear wheel bearings (obviously this is as required)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Your best bet is to take the swingarm down to a shop and let them press the old ones out and press the new ones in, that is if you can get the pivot bolt out.

Other than that the rest of the info you seek is out there, or in here, you might just have to look for it ;)

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Easier said than done, I am putting this off right now, even though I know I need to do it right away. I am not riding the bike anymore this year, so it wont hurt anything sitting there.

Ryan_KDX_

Sep 12, 2002
I had a problem getting the pivot bolt out too. All I did was go to Sears and bought a small sledge hammer and a big punch. Problem solved. I imagine that by doing it my way, you can ruin the bolt (by mushrooming out the end, or screwing up the threads) so be careful.

Eview326

Jul 7, 2003
so your supposed to take the nut off the right side of the pivot bolt and then hit it with a sledge and it will come out the left side?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
once you get it out far enough to grab, wiggle the swing arm up and down, and pull on the bolt. it comes right out, with only a little effort.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
It might not be so easy. It depends on how badly the bushings or bearing races have gotten grooved. If they are badly grooved, you are going to need a BIG hammer and will probably ruin the swingarm bolt, which costs about $21. If this sounds like the voice of experience, it is. I learned my lession and now make sure I disasemble and lube the swingarm bearings every year.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
When you drive the bolt out there is a simple way to hit it a little ways with a sledge without hurting the threads. The thing to do is put the nut on a little ways and hit as hard as you want. It wont tear the threads up. Won't hurt the nut very much either.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some question/concern is raised concerning bearing removal and replacement if the questions start with removal of the swingarm pivot bolt.

Not dinging on you here...but if the mechanical attachment of the swingarm is the start of the questions, you may well be better off having a shop do the work.

As inferred, once the nut is off, getting the pivot bolt out may well be a big headache.

If, having loosened the nut a good amount, a light-to-medium tap with a heavy hammer (you can use a piece of wood between..don't bang directly on the nut. It's inertia/mass that's doing the work) doesn't move the bolt, you're likely in for a solvent-soaking, heating, pounding effort.

Also as inferred, in some cases the bolt is stuck so bad you have no choice but to cut the swingarm out. ...obviously cutting the bolt that's holding the swingarm, not cutting the swingarm itself! :think:

There is room for a blade inbetween the swingarm-frame.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
...obviously cutting the bolt that's holding the swingarm, not cutting the swingarm itself!

Good call 'Carvr! I could just see it now.... "I got the swingarm cut off, but the bolt is still stuck!" :confused:

Top Bottom