goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I have read in this forum that worn swingarm bearings can ruin the swingarm. How do bad bearings ruin the swingarm? I recently took my swingarm off and greased the bearings.The one set of bearings had rust in it and the sleeve and bolt were marked but all still moved freely. I greased it and put it all back together and figured I would order new bearings in the next couple of weeks since the dealer did not have any in stock. Are I in danger of destroying my swingarm? Thanks

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
If they are rusting I would replace them. I dont know if it would ruin the swingarm but I bet it affects handling.

I just replaced mine and had a heck of a time pressing them out so be prepared to make a homemade press of some kind or take it to a shop.

Attachments

• image-24.jpg
    image-24.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 402

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
as long as everything moved good adn your greased everyhting good you should be good till the end of the year at which time i woudl advise you to take the time and put new bearings in as they can greatly affect handling.I would know as mine were all toasted and didn't even come close to rolling. I, however, was fortunate enough to own a machine press, i would recomend that you take it to a shop and have them press them in rather than trying the "vise" method(which is ok, but may damage the new bearings if your not careful)and after that just take it apart yeary and grease it, and you should be trouble free.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Here is the quote I got for each bearing, to me it's not that much money to risk any damage. Here are the Kawasaki Part numbers I would like a quote on: 92046-1118 $6.99

6.99 X 4 = $27.96 for bearings.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
How do bad bearings ruin the swingarm?
They rust, disintegrate into small pieces and chew through the outer race causing it to rotate in its bore of the s-arm. This happens every time the s-arm goes through its range of motion. Makes a nice egg-shaped hole in the end of the s-arm. Very expensive I hear...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom