wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Can I take the swingarm bolt out to grease the bearings w/o taking shock off??? Go easy I'm new at this and still looking for a 2002 kdx 200 manual - hard to find.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Yup, ya gotta take out the shock. The easiest way, so you don't have to deal with the linkage, just unbolt the top mount bolt from the frame; the swingarm will come out with the shock attached now.

You might want to back off on the lockring on the spring, so that it will be easier to bolt it all back up again.

Good luck! :)

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
well....I beg to differ with WoWman, but that sounds like a pain in the arse ! Especially that bit about backing off the lock ring on the shock spring...!

Honestly, it's not hard to do it properly. Disassemble the linkage and grease it whilst you're at it - it may save you some expense at a later date. And it only takes 10-15 minutes. And you can leave the shock in place. And it sure will be a heap easier to manouvre the swing-arm back into place and line everything back up again IF you don't have that shock and linkage hanging off it! AND, I'm pretty sure you'd have to unbolt the linkage from the frame anyway...

just my two-bob's worth...

Cheers,

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
You don't have to take off the shock or the linkage. Just remove the linkage bolt at the swingarm end of the dogbone, then the main swingarm bolt, and its off. There's plenty of clearance for getting it in and out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm not sure if I'd bet two-bobs or not..whoEVER they are....;)

but I do agree with andrew. Your shock linkage is going to be in a LOT worse shape than the swingarm joint.....given they both started at the same time from a 'serviced' standpoint.

Not that jeffw isn't correct. I'm not saying that (he is, btw). Just that the unitrack is more likely to be a problem.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I've owned and taken apart maybe five linkage type swingarms, all purchased used. Of all of them, two had bad swingarm bearings on the sprocket side (including my KDX). Maybe they had been high pressure washed to get the mud build-up out of the sprocket area. I've never had to replace linkage bearings. Just my experience, maybe i've been lucky.

Top Bottom