wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, i looked in a bunch of other threads but i didn't quite see the answer i was looking for.

the bolt which holds my swing arm on is siezed, now i can move the swing arm freely w/out any resistance, but when i lift the motor up and down the bolt moves w/ the motor, so i asumming the bolt is seized to the cases, now how much heat can i apply to the cases where the bolt goes though to expand them?

i don't want to screw up my cases by giving them too much heat, i'm just not sure how much heat they can handle.??? :coocoo:

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Well what "I" would do in this case. I would get a rivet gun or air hammer *air tools* to pound the bolt out. This way the vibration plus the impact should help free the bolt. I would also try to apply some WD-40 and soak the area for a while.But be careful of the end of the bolt it might want to "mushroom" from hitting it.*then it would suck to get through the cases.* oh if you didnt try b-4 you might want to try to tap the bolt out with a hammer and something on the end of the bolt b-4 you get crazy with the air tools. You might be able to ask someone with an air compressor ( if you dont have one ) to help you with as they should be fimiliar with the above mentioned tools.
Hope this helps..

Crazy

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
yea, i have access to every air tool there is,(i atcually just bought an air hammer a few weeks ago.) i work in an auto shop, but usually i end up bringing the big air tools home to borrow, since i don't need to buy them if i use them once a year, (i only own the neccessities) but i have allready let it soak for about a day now with penetrating oil, and pounding on it w/ a hammmer. still no movement.

but you don't think i should go the route w/ the heat?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
you might try "backing up" the other side of the bolt with something heavy,this would be the frame in my case. This would help harness any lost energy lost in the impact tool. this might sound like a waste of time but we do this all time on aircraft.*every little bit helps*
I guess heat would help expand the aluminum so I wouldnt rule it out.

Crazy4nitro

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
so your suggesting that i rest the frame against something to suspend the swing arm? i don't think i grasped your though? :coocoo:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
set the bike up against the wall as far over as ya can
soak the bolt/swingarm pivot areas with "PB BLASTER"
do that for a couple days a couple times a day
hit the bolt with your impact while someone hits the threaded end (use a punch/extension etc so ya dont mess up the threads,might even just leave the nut on it) with a big hammer while you impact the other end
we had to do this with a blaster at my work place that had the same problem
good luck

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Lay the bike on its side and block it up w/ wood blocks. This way all the force goes through the bolt and the bike does not move .Get a big hammer and punch , drench the bolt with good penetrating oil .

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
bordrshane said:
cut it out with a cutting torch :debil:

Your Drinkin' :coocoo: Dynamite works in a pinch also :nener:

------------------------------------
Pete Payne, That will work,you get the idea,Air tools though,

QKENUF4U,Intresting Idea..

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've done the PB Blaster with air hammer and it has worked fine but in some instances such as my som's CR85 that's not an option because of the design of the pivot. This one gave me more probems than any bike EVER! I finally ended up drilling so that the wall of the bolt was about 1/16" for about 3" then taking a hardened steel rod and dropped it in the hole and pounded on it with a 5# sledge until it broke the pivot. I had the bike lying down with the frame supported on a couple of 2x4's. So I'm now pretty sure my initial concerns of the original owner not doing much of anything as far as maintainence have been confirmed. The bike is now down to nuts & bolts so the next owner will have one better than new when this bike is outgrown in 18 months or so.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
HOLY S%*% you seem to not fool around when it gets down to business

i think i may cut it w/ a sawzall and then put the the part that is sticking out in a press.

it sucks though b/c it is really hard for me to lube where it is actually stuck since it's in the cases.

when i lube the bolt from the outside of the frame it just oozes out past the seals.

wildbill2

Mar 13, 2004
What I did was lube very good, turn the shaft and lube again. Braced the frame and with the nut on the shaft used a wood plank and a hammer. Use the plank on top of the nut. Would give it 3-6 sharp blows with hammer then would try to turn the shaft. Lube very often and try to get some oil in where the shaft goes through the cases. It will take some time. Once you get it out grease and clean very good and check at least once a year because you don`t want to have to go through this again. :think: Good luck.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
the only time gravity wasn't my friend is when i launched off this jump when my throttle stuck wide open during a prctice session, needless to say i didn't get to race at all that day :bang: :bang:

and they still had my money :bang:

Top Bottom