jaysong

Jul 11, 2004
98 cr125 swing arm pivot bolt is frozen. heated, soaked w/ pb blaster, beat the living crap out of it for the past two days. it won't budge. the bolt is hollow, can i drill it out? i must remove so i can replace the crank. please help.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Try removing all the engine mounting bolts first. Then try and remove it again.
If not, remove the sub frame put the bike on its side, or better still, upside down and cut the bolt on both sides where the bolt passes through the back of the motor. A sawzall with a metal blade helps. If not it doesn't take too long to cut through with a quality blade by hand.

jaysong

Jul 11, 2004
help

it appears there is a sleeve over the bolt. between engine and swing arm.should i cut at the engine side? if i damage this sleeve, can it be replaced? what is this sleeve called? thanks for the help...

Peer Lovell said:
Try removing all the engine mounting bolts first. Then try and remove it again.
If not, remove the sub frame put the bike on its side, or better still, upside down and cut the bolt on both sides where the bolt passes through the back of the motor. A sawzall with a metal blade helps. If not it doesn't take too long to cut through with a quality blade by hand.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
There is a sleeve over the bolt where it passes inside the motor, however, none of that should be protroding. So, I think you mean the dust cap seal. Try not to cut it, however ,if you do its only a couple of bucks.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Could he try to use an air hammer on this? I have one that came w/ my air impact gun but ive never used it for anything.

chillrich

Sep 15, 2003
'98 YZ250 took about an hour of beating with a drift pin to get it out. The last guy neglected his linkage/swingarm bearings but I won't.

Good luck

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Same thing happened on my 85 CR, couldnt get the damn thing out no matter what we did, so what we ended up doing last was putting a bolt inside the end of the swingarm pivot bolt (so we wouldnt fray the end of the swing arm bolt) then we took an air hammer to it on the nut side, while turning it with an impact gun on the other side, every 5 minutes of hammering we would stop, and move the swingarm up and down and wiggle it back and forth. After about half an hour of constant hammering, and the expense of my hearing, it finally came out.
And well... all of this could have been avoided if the previous owner WOULD HAVE GREASED THEIR BEARINGS!!!

Top Bottom