Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Hey guys, well I broke out the air tools this weekend and decided to try my luck at polishing my swingarm. Frist thing I did was take everything off it, all the nuts bolts/plastic etc and put a crap load of pickling paste on there. Left it on for about 5 mins, got ever speck of oil/dirt imaginable off. Great stuff but don't let the dog eat it :)

I started out with some 60 grit on a 9000rpm air tool and that took most of the big gouges and the nasty stuff off. Then went to 80 and 120. I'm starting to get a really shiney look to it, almost like chrome but not there yet. Anyone have an idea what I should do after the 120 grit? I've heard of 1000grit wet sanding, but do I have to do that? Anyone have experience doing this? I understand it takes some time, but i just need some tips with the sandpaper(sanding bits more like it)

kooade

Jul 12, 2001
I would wet sand the rest. With 260 then 400 then 600. Polish it with a polishing compound and a cotton polishing wheel. To get a high luster it takes a lot of sanding. If you didn't sand enough with the 260 and 400 you will see sratch marks after polishing. If that happens repeat the wet sanding. oh yea do the wet sanding by hand if you can.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would forget the sanding and buy a container of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Very easy to get them very shiney without much rubbing.
Stuff is amazing.

H/Sracer500

Feb 20, 2002
Polished mine last winter and here's what I did: Got the paint and scratches off with 120 grit attached to an air tool, Then hand sanded it with a rubber sanding block starting with 100, then 120, 150, 180, 220, 280, 320, 360, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 with plenty of water (I heard WD-40 works as well), then used polish to shine it. It was just like a mirror! You could skip a few grits, but it is actually going to take you longer to get rid of the scratches left by the previous grit. Believe me, I tried to save some time polishing the big aluminium molds we have where I work by skipping grits, and ended up having to work twice as hard...
It took me about 2½ hours to do my swing arm, but I love the result!:)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I polished mine once but after the 1st ride it looked the same as before I ever started. I figure why bother with it.:aj:

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
I'm seriously thinking of doing this to my kx. Is it really worth it?, I just don't want to spend alot of time on something that will look bad of stupid on my bike.

Matt

H/Sracer500

Feb 20, 2002
Try to find some good metal polish like Autosol or Dursol or similar. When your done washing your bike, you will have to polish it almost everytime to keep the shine. I use fine steel wool with the polish , then wipe it off with a cotton ragto shine it. Is it worth it? Well it wont make your bike go any faster, but it does look nice...:)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I guess I wasn't thinking, my swingarm comes from the factory polished. I don't know what it would look like to polish a jap bike swingarm.

b0nfire

Mar 15, 2002
polishing, more like huffing ;)

Hehe.. I still think it would be less work to just use the paste make it "semi-shiney" and save tons of hours of polishing.. but alas ever person has the final say on how they like their bike..

As for the pickling paste.. you had you head right overtop of the can with a towel overtop.. I thought you were steaming your face..

>> 5 minues of pickling paste fumes = 24 pack of coors light and a can of aerosol paint

Crazy guy lives on..

"put a crap load of pickling paste on there. Left it on for about 5 mins, got ever speck of oil/dirt imaginable off. Great stuff but don't let the dog eat it "

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Polished mine last winter and here's what I did: Got the paint and scratches off with 120 grit attached to an air tool, Then hand sanded it with a rubber sanding block starting with 100, then 120, 150, 180, 220, 280, 320, 360, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 with plenty of water (I heard WD-40 works as well), then used polish to shine it

tooo polish the easiest and nicest there is no real true shortcuts I believe .
I polished mine once but after the 1st ride it looked the same as before I ever started. I figure why bother with it.

Amen brother if I am worried about the looks I clean it scuff it a little and add a fresh coat of paint with new stickers by far the easiest way to get decent results for my tastes

Top Bottom