700_Edge_X

Jul 11, 2007
Hi, This winter i'm planning on putting black plastics on my bike and i'm going to be painting the swing arm, frame, and some other stuff black. So how hard of a job is it to pull the frame and swing arm out? The bike is a 01 Yz 125. Thanks

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
If your talking about stripping your bike down to the frame and taking the swingarm off than its an intermediant job. I did it to my old KX125 and I labeled all the parts,nuts,and bolts and put it bags so reassembly would be easier.Simple hand tools should be all you need and some patience. Swingarm bolts could be tight or siezed so take your time. Good luck.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
the hardest part of stripping my frame for my kx250 was taking off the motor.. But if you work non-stop and have the right tools, you can get everything off in about 2 hours. Taking the rear swing arm off is easy..

Good luck

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You should start with a factory service manual. Once you have that it won't be too bad as long as you stay organized. While it's apart is also a good time to inspect the top end, all of the bearings, and anything else that you can think of.

May 10, 2007
definatly label everything in bags.

nothing is worse then putting the whole thing back together and having that one bolt left over cuz then your like wait a minute.....

700_Edge_X

Jul 11, 2007
Ok, i know all about organizing stuff cause i'm in the process of doing a complete rebuild of a ford v-8. My winter project is to put on black plastics and paint the frame, swing arm, and some other parts black. So it sounds like it is doable project. Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Be prepared to deal with the swingarm pivot issue that seems to be a common trait on all bikes. Typically they are less than easy to extract because of poor maintenance. There are a few ways to deal with it, heat, PB Blaster, impact wrench, hammer & brass drift but after several run in's I think drilling it out and then pounding it with a steel rod is the easiest even thought you need to buy a new pivot afterwards. If it doesn't pop out easily after a little PB Blaster and tap with a hammer declare war.

Top Bottom