justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Well my week has consisted of evacuating our school (850 high school students +staff), interrogating 15 students about the bomb threat, suspending one for setting off stinck bombs, two suspensions for drugs at school, one for gang involvement, one for telling a teacher to get off thier fat ass. I also had to tell 21 students they will not recive credit for the semester for attendance issues. I love kids and think I make a difference but weeks like this make it hard to focus on education.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by justql
one for telling a teacher to get off thier fat ass.
In some cases that may be needed;)
Actually I think the next worse job in relation to teeenagers from mine is yours. The principal is always the bad guy and like cops you spend 90% of your day dealing with the 10% who are in trouble. We both just see the 90% good kids as they go about their business

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Exactly right oldguy. I just got home from a bb game. A bunch of good kids running up and down the court working thier tails off. It does kinda recharge your battery when you get to be around them awhile.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay... the Teacher the Cop and now the Parent..
Mine is turning 18 tomorrow, thinks the world will be different when she wakes-up in the am (I'm and adult" LOL)... no more rules at home, etc. BING... WRONG. I'm telling ya... being a parent that CARES and will do whatever we think we have to to send a productive, good individual into the world, is the most challenging, difficult thing a human will ever have to face.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Your right Okie, thats why we have a unique policy that says even if a students is 18 they still must have a parents permission to miss school etc. It has been proven over and over that kids that have parents active in their upbringing are far more likely to succeed than those without. While our 18 year old students do not like it, we hang with it. We have on occasion had students living by thierselves that we exempt. But normally we go by the rule that if you live under your parents roof, you answer to them. Most parents when meeting with us and a student really like the support.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan
Okay... the Teacher the Cop and now the Parent..
Mine is turning 18 tomorrow, thinks the world will be different when she wakes-up in the am (I'm and adult" LOL)... no more rules at home, etc. BING... WRONG. I'm telling ya... being a parent that CARES and will do whatever we think we have to to send a productive, good individual into the world, is the most challenging, difficult thing a human will ever have to face.
We are not parents--strickly by choice because we knew we would not be able to afford to send them to college, etc., etc., etc., and do the right things that parents should do. But, those that have sacrificed much to become good parents, we stand and salute all of you.

Being a RESPONSIBLE parent is the MOST important job in the world!!!

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
My brother and his wife are both teachers. What a thankless job... The politics of it all makes me ill.

JUSTQL,
I'm sure if you're involved I don't need to tell you about it. Makes me sick.

I remember when we were in school (insert Grandpa on his soapbox). This kid (punk-ass) told the science teacher to go to... :debil: you get the idea. He then told the science teacher to go "F___K himself. The science teacher, also the wrestling coach, invited him out inot the hallway to discuss the matter further. The kid then took a swing at him, Then the coach slammed the punks head into the lockers a few time and threw him down the stairs...

That was the END of any trouble by any student in his class, for as long as I could remember. There was a lot of sitting up straight and "yes Sir" and "No Sir" the rest of that class I'll tell ya what. ;)

To bad we can't still handle things the way they NEED to be done some times. Seems like the kids have more rights than the teachers. And the teachers have none... :ugg:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
justql, I feel your pain! That's why I didn't go that route. Things changed a lot in high school the 4 years I was in college, and I realized I would end up doing things like stormer's science teacher! That doesn't work in today's day and age.

Parents are the problem. Used to be, when a teacher had a problem with the kids, the parents would back them up. Nowadays, Little Susie and Jimmy couldn't be doing all those things, according to their parents who don't do diddly with them. But those parents are not going to help the teacher, they'll end up suing the whole school district first!

Now I'll climb off the "Old Codger" box that stormer sat out here for us! :confused:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I have 4 kids, 18-15-13-2, all good kids.
and looks like we may be inheriting a 17y/o, at least for a while( mommy and daughter can't get along) oh and the problem is mommy.

Really don't know how people who have to deal with kids in trouble do it day in and day out, tough job. But thanks for the job you do!

I'm a little concerned about taking my wife's niece in for a while, but this girl really needs a break. Maybe I need a shrink, or will.:confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well Justql, tis the season. For the others that have responded, Justql had a simular week just before DW01. He seemed to get it all out of his system though while in Casey. Need a rode trip dude? I've been to his school and it is very nice, far different from the one I attended. Like XRP stated, situations cannot be handled like they should. Justql, go shopping for the wife's present and stop by a bike shop and druel on a new MX bike:p . Just think, Monday is right around the corner. :uh: Good luck my friend.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe a lot of the "bad eggs" really lack respect for others and themselves. It takes a strong parent to make a strong kid. I'll admit I got in trouble like most any kid but the difference was my mom wouldn't let me just slide by, I'd hear about it and if I gave he a bunch of lip I'd get a dish rag across the face. If I really went looking for trouble even though my parents were divorced my dad would say "Do you really want me to have to come straighten YOU out?" (he lived 600 miles away). The obvious answer was "NO" because I KNEW he would be there if he needed to be. Most kids don't get that today but, they need it. Most of the problem kids also seem to be the ones NOT involved in activities where they have to answer to an adult besides a parent or teacher. Such as a sports team, Scouts, and such.

Be involved with your kids and even other kids that don't get much parental involvment. Better yet ride with your kids.:)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Be involved with your kids and even other kids that don't get much parental involvment. Better yet ride with your kids.

Take Patman's advice, Justql. Oh, I know, you already do ride with your kids.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I took the last plaque I won to the office and sat in on the shelf. I had a young man I was sending home for something or another, at the beginning of the conversation he was very hostile and combative. When he saw the plaque he immediately began asking questions about it. I couldn't keep him on track ended up we had a good conversation about enduors. He then listened and responded in a positive manner to the discipline he recieved. I have since left the plaque and picture there.
Like bsiwft said, we've got a good school, not as bad as it sounds. And as Oldguy stated I spend my time with 10% of the kids who give me a bad taste inmy mouth. I got in the business because they keep you young. If it weren't for the parents.:think

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by justql
. . . I spend my time with 10% of the kids who give me a bad taste in my mouth . . .
If only you could get by with only 10% of your time with the little turds! The world would be a better place. :)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Things changed a lot in high school the 4 years I was in college, and I realized I would end up doing things like stormer's science teacher! That doesn't work in today's day and age.

A shame, but true. I got "swats" in every grade between 1st & 6th--BUT, the big fear was the punishment I'd get when I got home.:scream:

In 4th grade, a very BIG 4th grade teacher took me to the office and laid 3 on me with a big thickass paddle. The first swing knocked me OVER the principle's desk. This little exchange resulted in a large black square bruise on my ass for 6 weeks. Did my parents support it? You bet! The principle was one of their best friends. And when I got home, my dad handed me a weed wacker & directed toward the highway, where I worked until dark every night after school for 3 weeks.:uh:

It all stopped about 5 years later when an enraged teacher threw a kid and his desk across the room. The kid clearly deserved it, but the teacher lost his job. We all happened to like the teacher--so, well, I won't say what we did to the kid.:debil:

I feel very sorry for teachers. I respect you people, & don't know how you do it in today's environment. :cool:

Top Bottom