fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I just went to check out a 2001 KDX 220 to buy. It had all the goodies: FMF Gold Gnarly Torque Pipe and Silencer/Spark Arrestor, Carb work, Springs for the forks, all the little guards (skid plate, radiator, caliper, master cylinder, hand, etc), O-ring chain and 49 rear sprocket (don't know about the front), Handle Bars, Seat cover, etc. Questionable things: it lagged off the bottom end the first time I took it for a spin, then did ok the second time (maybe needed to be warmed up), and there was a noise in the top end that I noticed. I have no idea if it was bad, but I noticed it. It was a low pitch knocking, that sounded like it was coming from the piston. Also the spring on the clutch seemed really stiff. He is asking $2200, and I walked away because he wouldn't budge. Is it worth it? Do these sound like symptoms of any kind of potential problem? Should I go back and get it?

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
If it wasn't warmed up good, that could explain the sluggish bottom end. Could also be jetting. The KDX is notorious for being "noisy", something inherent to the KIPS system, I believe. On the clutch, I couldn't say. I don't notice that mine is hard, but maybe I'm just used to it. Maybe he put in heavy duty springs on the last clutch replacement? Something to check into though.
Check kbb.com for the going rate on used bikes, and don't factor in the aftermarket stuff- most any used bike will have goodies.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
KBB says $2665, and I think the bike is worth what he is asking for it, I just wanted him to come down a little. I guess the real hold up is whether or not I am ready to get into a two stroker. It can be a bit intimidating taking off down the street. I hear all of the great things about KDX and its wide user friendly power band, but I don't have much experience on dirt bikes, and that thing got up and went when you asked it to. I hope I am not pussing out!

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
fundgh, The KIPS system sounds like a 4stroke with a stretched out cam chain rattling in there. It's a normal idiosyncracy (sp?) of the bike...not to worry. Whether it was cold, or needs jetting adjusted, don't let that deter you. That bike has lots of low end. Also, I think you'll adapt to the power pretty quickly...just don't give it as much gas, but it will be there when you need it! If you want a tamer bike, look at an XR250...b/c I think the XR400 would give you about that same feeling.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Don't worry about the noise...its a KDX thing related to the Kips. Increase your oil level and it will be less noticable. As mentioned before, don't let jetting issues deter you...overall this sounds like one heck of a deal to me...especially with pipe and guards and stuff.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
Be sure to check the rear swingarm/suspension bearings by placing the bike on a stand and trying to wiggle the rear tire and swingarm. There shouldn't be any slop. KDX's are known for not coming from the factory with enough lube and a complete bearing kit(s) runs about $160.
Also, check the air filter. It tells much about the owner's maintenance habits. Check spokes for tightness, steering stem bearing for adjustment and any "clunkiness", brake pad wear, etc.
That price sounds o.k. if the tires are new, the grips are new, the plastic looks fresh. Otherwise, remind the seller of these things and get him to negotiate.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Everything seems pretty nice, but there was a crack in the gas cap that he doesn't remember and is remembering some kind of recall issue... Anybody heard of that? Also is it normal for 2 strokes to spit some oil out of the pipe when it is first started? He did say that it leaks a little oil from the union between the pipe and silencer. Is this common? I am having a really hard time deciding between this KDX 220 and a '97 KLX300? I know it is a personal decision (4T vs 2T), but it is ALL of my spare money, and I want to be happiest in the end!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The oil (spooge) at the pipe joint and end of the silencer is quite typical. There's nothing wrong with that other than a little rich jetting. What piston is he running? The stock piston in a modified 220 is a problem waiting to happen. If he's replaced it with an aftermarket brand and kept up on his top end rebuilds you should be fine. KDXs have tons of noise coming out of the crankcases. A trained ear may be able to tell the difference between the regular noise and piston slap. Piston slap indicates a worn out piston...to much slop between the piston and cylinder wall. I can't stress the importance of immediately changing the piston if it's stock. When they fail it's major bucks to repair the peripheral engine damage. His gearing should be plenty low enough for anything you're going to come up against. You won't be sorry for going with the KDX. Although it's no super light weight it handles so well in the tight stuff that you won't believe the difference in perceived weight (compared to a 4-stroke) when out on the trail. It's a night and day difference. You won't be nearly as worn out after a hard day of riding. One of the things that takes the fun out of dirt biking for me is wrestling a big overweight pig of a bike through the woods all day.

Top Bottom