Texas Stadium to Host it's 29th Amp'd Mobile Supercross Race

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
[img2=left]http://dirtrider.net/news/news_ampd.jpg[/img2]AURORA, Ill. (March 27, 2007) – Amp’d Mobile Supercross, the world’s premier stadium-based off-road motorcycle racing series, returns to Irving’s Texas Stadium this Saturday, March 31. Current Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series points leader James Stewart extended his win streak to three with a big win last weekend at Indianapolis’ RCA Dome. Stewart’s arch rival, Yamaha’s Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., the 2004 AMA Supercross champion, will race for his third win at Texas Stadium.

A pre-race press conference will be held at Texas Stadium Thursday, March 29, from Noon-2:00 p.m. Honda’s Kevin Windham will be the featured rider along with his teammate Billy Laninovich. Windham and Laninovich will be available for the interviews and will ride the track for the media. For additional media opportunities, please contact dennyhartwig@livenation.com.

Last weekend Reed led the first 14 laps after scoring the $1,500 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award. Reed was able to build a comfortable lead while Stewart was making up for a start that put him near last place through turn one.

“I felt good tonight, but I made a few mistakes that stopped me from winning,” said Reed from the podium at the RCA Dome. “We have made a lot of changes to the bike, which have helped me get better starts.”

By lap seven Stewart already moved into second place and on lap 14, he cleared a section of the track that he had only jumped in practice, to move into the lead.

“I had to earn this win,” said Stewart. “When you are that far back, you need to be optimistic. The glass is always half full when you are in the back of the pack. I had to pull out all of the tricks in my play book tonight.”

Kawasaki’s Tim Ferry, of Dade City, Fla., finished third, picking up his third podium of the season and his 10th top-five finish.

“I did the best I could tonight,” said Ferry. “I know I could go fast in a few other sections, but I want to be here for the long haul.”

In the AMA Supercross Lites class Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., led all 15 laps of last weekend’s main event. Dungey, who has two wins on the season, was chased by Kawasaki’s Ben Townley, of Tallahassee, Fla., who finished second. Ryan Morais, of Murrieta, Calif., remains in series’ points leader with two races left on the schedule.

“Ryan (Dungey) has a little extra in the tank at the end of the race,” said Townley. “I tried to make smart decisions out there, but I am a racer; I want to win every weekend. I will come out swinging in Dallas.”

Dungey has been the victim of bad luck this year after winning the opening Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites at Atlanta’s Georgia Dome. The 17-year-old Suzuki rider crashed while challenging for the lead at St. Louis and finished in 19th place. The following weekend at Daytona, he failed to qualify for the main event. At Orlando, his bike was damaged when another rider’s motorcycle hit his in a race that was red-flagged. In the re-start, he was disqualified by the AMA when his team brought his bike back to the truck for repairs.

“It’s good to be back on top of the podium,” said Dungey. “I have been fighting through some bad luck this season. My starts were great tonight; I have been working on them at Ricky Carmichael’s house down in Florida.”

Last year at Texas Stadium Reed picked up a pivotal win to tighten up the points race between he and reigning AMA Supercross champion Ricky Carmichael. Before 45,445 fans, Reed moved into the lead on lap eight and controlled the race for the next 12 laps.

“It was a tough track tonight; you really had to be on your game,” said Reed, after last year’s race.

The win brought Reed within two points of Carmichael in the sport’s most competitive season ever. Reed and Carmichael brought their points race into the final race of the season at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas tied.

“Something was telling me it was going to get ugly,” said Reed. “At this point I didn’t even care about the title. I know if I put myself in good positions each weekend the title is possible.”

Carmichael went on to win the championship, but Reed has proved to be the man to beat in Dallas.

Teenage rookie Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., earned the first win of his career last season in Dallas. The Kawasaki rider jumped out to an early lead with the holeshot and built up a sizeable lead before crossing the checkered flag.

Since the first AMA Supercross class race held in Dallas back on February 28, 1975, Ricky Johnson has been the only rider to win the race three times. AMA Supercross Lites racing began in Dallas on May 4, 1985 where Suzuki rider Bobby Moore won. Kawasaki’s Grant Langston and seven-time supercross champion Jeremy McGrath are the only riders to win Dallas twice.

Tickets are available at www.supercrossonline, participating Yamaha dealers, all Ticketmaster outlets, or charge by phone at 214-373-8000. Ticket prices are $40 for Gold Circle seats; $25 for adults Mid-Level seats, $5 for kids Mid-Level seats; $10 for adult Treadhead seats; $5 for kids Mid-Level seats. Practice and qualifying begins at 12:30, racing begins at 7:00 p.m.

Past Winners in Irving

AMA Supercross

* March 22, 2006: Chad Reed
* April 2, 2005: James Stewart
* April 17, 2004: Chad Reed
* April 12, 2003: Chad Reed
* April 20, 2002: Ricky Carmichael
* April 21, 2001: Ricky Carmichael
* April 08, 2000: Kevin Windham
* February 27, 1999: Kevin Windham
* April 25, 1998: Ezra Lusk
* April 26, 1997: Jeff Emig
* March 23, 1996: Jeremy McGrath
* April 29, 1995: Doug Henry
* April 23, 1994: Mike LaRocco
* March 28, 1993: Jeremy McGrath
* May 30, 1992: Damon Bradshaw
* April 27, 1991: Damon Bradshaw
* April 07, 1990: Jean-Michel Bayle
* April 01, 1989: David Bailey
* May 04, 1985: Rick Johnson
* April 14, 1984: Johnny O’ Mara
* April 16, 1983: Mike Bell
* March 26, 1977: Bob Hannah
* March 19, 1976: Jim Ellis
* February 28, 1975: Jim Ellis
* March 01, 1975(b): Steve Stackable

AMA Supercross Lites

* March 22, 2006: Ryan Villopoto
* April 2, 2005: Grant Langston
* April 17, 2004: Ivan Tedesco
* April 12, 2003: James Stewart Jr.
* April 20, 2002: Travis Preston
* April 21, 2001: Grant Langston
* April 08, 2000: Greg Schnell
* February 27, 1999: Nathan Ramsey
* April 25, 1998: John Dowd
* April 26, 1997: Kevin Windham
* March 23, 1996: Mickael Pichon
* April 29, 1995: Damon Huffman
* April 23, 1994: Jimmy Button
* March 28, 1993: Doug Henry
* May 30, 1992: Jeremy McGrath
* April 27, 1991: Jeremy McGrath
* April 07, 1990: Denny Stephenson
* April 01, 1989: Mike LaRocco
* April 16, 1988: Ty Davis
* April 04, 1987: Kyle Lewis
* April 26, 1986: Keith Turpin
* May 04, 1985: Bobby Moore

Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP Season Standings

1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 304
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 278
3. Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 222
4. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 185
5. David Vuillemin, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 175
6. Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Honda, 159
7. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki, 153
8. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 148
9. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Kawasaki, 140
10. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Kawasaki, 125

Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series Season Standings

1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 285
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 253
3. Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 203
4. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 167
5. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 160
6. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 152
7. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki, 144
8. David Vuillemin, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 142
9. Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Honda, 134
10. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Kawasaki, 100

Amp’d Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings

1. Ryan Morais, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha, 96
2. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 86
3. Darcy Lange, Hemet, Calif., Kawasaki, 84
4. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Yamaha, 74
5. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 71
6. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha, 68
7. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 68
8. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 59
9. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plain, Minn., Suzuki, 53
10. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda 48

Amp’d Mobile Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings

1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 172
2. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 135
3. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 103
4. Christopher Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Kawasaki, 97
5. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 92
6. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 88
7. Josh Hansen, Lake Elsinore, Calif., KTM, 87
8. Matthew Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Yamaha, 86
9. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 71
10. Kyle Cunningham, Springtown, Texas, Yamaha, 66

For more information about the Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, please log on to www.supercrossonline.com. For media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig at 630-566-6305 or e-mail at dennyhartwig@livenation.com.

Top Bottom