Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I live in NorCal (San Jose-area) and I'm taking the family down to San Diego in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have advice for the best route that might help me avoid a little traffic? I did this about a decade ago and spent a few hours sitting in gridlock traffic with a screaming baby in the back seat. Not fun. The last time I drove down to SD I think someone recommended taking the 405, thinking that would bypass some of LA and still take me down where I needed to be. Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance for any help! :cool:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
what time of day would you hit the LA area?

If you hit LA after 7:00 PM I would just stay on I-5

If you are going to hit it between 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM on a weekday I would bypass the downtown LA area by taking the I-210 east to the 57 south back to I-5

Rod

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm guessing we'll be coming into the LA area between noon and 2pm. We'll be driving down on a Wednesday and driving back up the following Monday.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
take the 5 to the 210 to the 10. Then, where the 10 merges with the 15 head south... take the 15 into San Diego. it's a little more mileage wise but it saves in time...

Dec 8, 2007
I used to have to drive that route alot. Just time it so you arrive in LA area around 2am, then it dosent matter what route you take. Its a bit of an inconvenience but not compared to the traffic. I used to take 101 to 405 to 5 or just 101 to 5 I think.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
For the time of day you will be passing through I would stay on the 5 all the way to San Diego. I have made the drive from Burlingame to SD so many times I cant even count them.

5 to the 405 back to the 5 works as well as long as you get to LA area by 2pm like the guy above said.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Thumbs knows the drive, Ill second his recommendation to stay 5 if mid day. It takes a lot of traffic to warrant adding 50 or 80 miles to the drive. One little tip to get around the bad 5 interchange near downtown is to exit the 5 and take 10 east to 710 south and back to the 5 or if the 5 had mucho traffic stay on the 710 to the 91 east and then back to the 5.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm thinking you'd do best if you went east to Montana, then south to New Mexico, then over to San Diego.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ditto for staying on I-5 for the time of day you will be passing through. That's what we do when we travel from Bakersfield to San Diego or Anaheim. With a few excpetions due to accidents, I have had good luck on I-5 during off peak hours.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks everyone! I'll try to get an early start and then just stay on 5 the whole way. I'll keep your other options on-hand just in case I need them. Thanks for the help!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
XRpredator said:
I'm thinking you'd do best if you went east to Montana, then south to New Mexico, then over to San Diego.

Don't worry Pred, I'll send you a picture from the vacation. ;) You haven't even seen Mrs. Dude's new haircut yet. It's short and she looks very cute/hot. :nener:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Kawidude said:
Don't worry Pred, I'll send you a picture from the vacation. ;) You haven't even seen Mrs. Dude's new haircut yet. It's short and she looks very cute/hot. :nener:
This thread just became useless without pics!

I'm going to hell for this, and don't tell Mrs. Pred

Top Bottom