the Truth, how fast is your KDX

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Riding in my first enduro Sunday,we ran on a paved road several miles I was behind time so, to 6th gear and wide open throttle I went. Top speed I noticed Monday on my A-loop was 57 mph. I thought it would be higher. I guess it really does'nt matter you can't go that fast in the woods anyway. I did catch up my time and zero the check. How fast is your KDX, what am I not doing. I'm running a 13/49 sproket combo. I think I'll try a 14/48, what do you think..

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I think I wouldn’t over-rev my bike like that.

Gearing is set, - so to go faster means more revs or taller gearing, up to the point it can pull no higher.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
Depending on your wieght,size, I would not gear for more top end if you are a larger person and racing in enduros. The reason it only goes so fast is to give you good power for the somewhat smaller engine size. It never hurts to try, especially if you need new chain/sprockets.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
My watchdog showed a top speed of 52 after a Texas panhandle enduro. (Fairly open, topped out a couple of times) Well, not topped out, but I felt pretty close. I'm running 14/50, real close to stock ratio.
I know I don't use the upper part of the rpm range like most do. I even hate it when someone starts their bike first thing in the morning, then pins the throttle till it 'clears out'. It makes my teeth ache to hear a cold bike screaming away like that....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's deja vu all over again!

Verified via the local 1/4 mile drag strip timer system, a panoram bike computer (yes, set to proper front wheel circumference) and garmin gps; both my and my riding buddy's kdx ('01 200s) run well over 70mph. That's 12/47 (one tooth down on CS),too!

As far as the 52mph max part..two weeks ago on a hare scramble loop my gps registered a top speed of 49mph..and I was never out of 3rd gear!

The only oddity about the measurements involves the 1/4 mile track. That was my riding buddy and his bike. He didn't realize that the mph trap at the end of the track extended past the 1320' mark...he was letting off the throttle as soon as he passed the 'finish' line.

So..in that case (asphalt) his mph numbers would have been higher had he kept it twisted all the way thru the mph trap.

re: teeth aches.

Man! No kidding!! Isn't that just plain awful!!??

kdxjr: Maybe it's that liddle, biddy, teeny weeny, 33mm carb!! ;)

And, no......you can't go that fast in the woods anyway. You're right about that! (Not any woods 'round here anyway)

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I'm not sure how fast mine goes (none of that fancy gps for me), but when we ride down the fire lanes, I can keep up with my friends KX500, but not pass him (I don't hold it wide open the whoel time, only fo rlike 10 seconds, then coast, then back into it). But he does weigh over 250lbs, and is geared for low end. When were in the woods I can pass him though.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Oh Junior, don't you think that on a public paved road (that's probably a 35 mph speed limit) you should be observing the speed limit? Sorry to be the party pooper here, but this is just another reason that the enduros aren't welcome. The enduros and dualsport rides/poker runs that I have been to have warned that they expect everyone to observe the speed limit when on a road. <stepping off of soapbox now>

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Alright, it should be a somewhat simple math exercise to figure out what the 'calculated' top speed is for a stock geared KDX, at say... 8,000rpm.
Maybe if you held a gun to my head I could figure it out, but I doubt it!
Any engineer or mechanic types want to illuminate us?

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by Milquetoast
Oh Junior, don't you think that on a public paved road (that's probably a 35 mph speed limit) you should be observing the speed limit?

Talking to me? If so, the fire lanes are dirt roads, used for emergency vehicles to cut through the woods, and there are no posted speed limits.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Hauling my big rear, the ’96 200 I owned would top out around 70mph going through transfer sections (cornfields). That’s with stock gearing and all the Fredette modifications.

Milque – That is more of a promoter problem than an individual rider problem when it comes to enduros. The club should use resets before road sections or adopt Brand X rules to prevent speeding. I think there is more of a problem with riders cutting the course and riding on land the club doesn’t have permission to use.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
stock gearing...the usual motor mods...my '99 200 has done 72 MPH according to my ICO.

Of course, I'm about 40 pounds lighter than WoodsRider. :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just fer fun...

craig_enid:
Need more than the final drive ratio. What's the 6th gear ratio? At 1:1, you'd be going over 150mph ;)

Guess I'll look that up when I get home......

(no guns used, no animals harmed during this comment)

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
With 13/49 gearing, I am sure the KDX can bust 70. But that is about it. My DRZ does about 95 maxed out now. VERY scary on a narrow woods trail!
:scream:

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Top Speed

KDX220 with stock gearing - 5000' elevation - 72mph
Milqutoast, we have a problem. You quoted Einstein's --"He who joyously marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt ..." Then you turn right around in the same post and say " Junior, don't you think that on a public road [probably a 35 mph speed limit] you should be observing the speed limit?" Do you see any hypocricy here ?

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
My handy Excel spread sheet tells me that with factory gearing, my KDX200 would do 154mph at 6240RPM. I chose that RPM because it is listed on the steering stem, and I know my motor will actually rev to that level. Not saying that 7000RPM isn't possible, I just don't know for sure, if it is possible, it would put the bike at 178 mph. This calculation is with a 27.25" tall tire, and 13/49 gearing=3.77:1 ratio. Could be that your rear tire is slipping at those high speeds, keeping the revs high, but the bike only around 50mph or so?

I'll list the gear ratio's from Kawi's website:
1st: 2.63
2nd: 2.00
3rd: 1.53
4th: 1.24
5th: 1.04
6th: 0.87

Just a reminder, top speed is a function of horsepower, windresistance can double or even become exponential at high speed. Our KDX's may not be able to do the theoretical top speeds that I listed.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
No, I don't see the hypocrisy at all my friend. Endagering a sport i love with irresponsible behavior is not my idea of being a "thinker", just the opposite. Seems most guys tear around the streets between trail sections, and ride with absurdly loud pipes (so they can have the all-important 1/2 hp at wfo), so me being responsible is actually NOT jumping on the bandwagon. Care to explain your interpretation of Mr. Einstein?

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
BEFORE I installed the FMF K-35 (torque) pipe and Turbine Core II silencer, I hit 68 mph easily and that was going up a paved mountain road (before the switchbacks!).

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Milque - Why don't you take your comments to the enduro forum and get a good discussion going. Keep in mind that not all enduros use public roads for transfer sections. I've ridden some long, 60+ ground mile, enduros that were on one piece of property.

Now as for dual-sport rides/turkey runs, they're all full of a bunch of wannabe enduro riders anyway! :moon:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
OK, how many times would the rear wheel rotate, if the motor rotated 6,240 times in 6th gear? The answer would be determined by the sprocket combo. Carver, I figured nobody messes with the transmission ratios, that's why I only gave the sprockets, and the tire differences, not being 'leveraged', shouldn't change the final mph too much.
That distance (traveled in 1 minute) could be converted into a miles per hour number.
Brian2, the 154mph at 6240rpm's doesn't sound correct.... did you work the ratio opposite? Could you list the numbers used and how you used them? I'm thinking that 154mph/3.77=40.8mph sounds alot closer???

Last edited:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
BTW, back around '72, when I was a pubescent young man drooling over AT1s and SuperRats, one of the cycle mags would put out a graph showing motor RPMs and ground speeds when they did a model test. You could look at it and see how fast you would be going at redline in each gear. Any of you other old guys remember those?
This doesn't take into consideration any over-rev. A modded bike may rev higher and have a top speed greater than a stock, but not travel any faster at a given RPM.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Don't forget the primary reduction gears, ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Overall ratio from the service manual is 9+ : 1 (there's some three digit precision number..won't matter much)

That comes out to 68.69mph @ 8000rpm.

re: 'nobody messes with transmission ratios'
That's fine if you don't mind incorrect answers ;)

As woodsrider sez..there's primary reduction..then final gear (trans), sprocket combos, tire diameter and rpm to consider.

re: 'My handy Excel spread sheet tells me ...' (a hunnert and WHAT? :) )
Note to moderator: Please transfer this thread to the Humor Forum ;)

You're joking of course. Pretty dry humor, then. That XL spreadsheet would have a bad case of GIGO!! (that would be garbage in-garbage out).

Braahp sums it all up!!
re: 'My 200 is faster than I can ride it.'

Yeah buddy!!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom