Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Are 2-strokes really that much cheaper to own than 4-strokes? Last year I had an '06 YZ 250F, but after I did some research and found out the long-term costs of it ($1800+ topend rebuilds) I decided to sell the bike.
Im looking for a bike that I can do some local amateur MX races with and do 1 or 2 days a week of freeriding, but I want something that is fairly inexpensive.
Is a 2-stroke fairly inexpensive and fairly low maintenance? Im considering buy an '07 or '08 (assuming the make one) YZ 125, but Im curious as to if a 2-stroke is signifigantly cheaper to own and maintain than a 4-stroke.
Thanks...

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have had my KX250 for a little more than a year, and I am considering sending Motosport $130 for a top end kit as a preventative measure (it still runs fine). That's $70 less than a comparable kit for a KXF250 from the same supplier. The KX125 kit is $110. Since everthing else is basically the same as far as design, I won't comment on more than the price of exhaust components, look at those prices, but don't forget to price the pipe/header AND the silencer.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Most would either do a compression test, or just use the feel method (the kickstart lever is too easy to kick, and the bike gets hard to start). I have never felt that I HAD to do one, but people that I trust recommend once a year whether you need it or not. Perhaps someone more experience will chime in now and shed more light.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
FruDaddy said:
I have had my KX250 for a little more than a year, and I am considering sending Motosport $130 for a top end kit as a preventative measure (it still runs fine). That's $70 less than a comparable kit for a KXF250 from the same supplier.
Are you trying to say that a topend rebuild kit for your KXF250 is $200? I find that really hard to believe. Ive read a lot of threads over on Thumpertalk by people who had to rebuild the topend of their 4-strokes and they all said it cost over $1500.
I personally much prefer a 4-stroke (I like the powerband and the thoatly exhaust note), but if a 2-stroke is signifigantly cheaper to own I would go that route.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
NO, I ride a KX250, however I opened up my motosport catalog to get a price for the KXF kit. The following is an actual price from a retailer:
http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=2543&nav=&sMMY=KAWASAKI;KXF250;2004

Now, valves are $65 a pair and retainers $105 per set. You may or may not need them. My original comparison was for a similar kit for both smokers and thumpers.

You should get a couple of catalogs and compare prices, then factor in your time for repairs before making your final decision.

Jan 3, 2007
The 125s are good bikes for lighter and more so aggresive riders. My friend who could only afford a 125 put the 144 kit from Eric Gorr and ported for bottom to mid, Now the bike is sutiable for almost any kind of rider.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
ahhhhhh, i remember you ;) . yes, any 125, no matter what color, will be a good bit cheaper as far as repairs. adding to FD'd comment about exhausts, a 4T exhaust system is $850-$1000 :yikes: while a 2T system is only $280-$320. mods are significantly cheaper and easier to install. if you want a pinger, then go for it :ride: .

hayes214

Mar 1, 2007
one thing though

on a 4 stoke you dont need all the pipe work to keep up to the 2 strokes. you have to do have all the pipe work ,reeds, 144 kit for a 2 stroke.if you take care of a 4 stroke they do not cost that much to ride or maintain.they have more grunt and are much easier to ride than the 2 strokes.they are cheaper to buy but you pay for that in the performance of the bike

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
A 2-stroke is a lot cheaper. A full top end rebuild (piston, cylinder etc..) costed me (on my KE100) just under $200. And they don't get TOO much more expensive than that.

the main reason it costs so much for a FULL top end rebuilds on a 4-stroke, is because of the cams, valves, and all that other jun in the top of the motor :nener: .

Yes it will cost less to buy stuff for it. And it is less time maintianing it. But it wont be as "easy" as your 4-stroke. If you never rode a 2-stroke before then it will be a drastic change. You'll have to learn clutching on a 2-stroke. Learn to hold on when the power ban kicks in :laugh: . (to me... it doesn't seem like that much of a kick when i ride a MX bike..but you know it when it hits.., But the girl in my computer class has a KX85, and it through her off the back of it :) , She said she didn't know it was gonna suddenly hit like that.)

I'm sure you will be happy with a 2-stroke. 125's are light, and maneuverable.

kawikiller

Mar 2, 2007
You should get last months issue of dirt rider, in there they had an article about buying used 125's. and which one would be the best bike. It also said riding a 125 before jumping straight to a bigger bike like a 250 will make you a better rider in the long run.

Jan 3, 2007
Any 125 will make you a better rider. The fact you have to stay on the pipe makes you push the bike without having back fire and burping. Look at Travis Pastrana, he was riding the 125 in worlds and beat a coulpe 500s and a bunch of 250s. Plus like stated the 125 is alot better to buy used then a 250F any day.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Im basically looking to move to something that is fairly cheap to maintain. I figure that if I grenade a 2-stroke Im looking at $300-$500 (at the most) to fix, but with a 4-stroke Im looking at $1500 or more (sometimes MUCH more).
At least with a 2-stroke when I grenade my motor I wont have to get a 2nd mortgage on my house to pay the repair bill.
Im looking at doing some local amateur racing and freeriding, so that fact that a 250F is faster really isnt all that important to me.
It sounds like a 2-stroke would be a good idea.
Thanks...

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
In your case, you might be right. To throw a monkey wrench into the works, have you considered the 250 smokers? They will have more power, and won't cost you much more.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I had considered that, but Im still very much a novice when it comes to dirtbikes. Im concerned that a 250 might be too much for me at this time.
I also want to start racing next year and I think it would be much better to start in a 125 class against 125s and 250Fs than to start racing in a 250 class against 250s and 450Fs.
Right now I ride a 120 hp snowmobile and last summer I did some MX with my '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 ATV, but a bike is a lot different than a snowmobile and a quad.
I think that in the long run, starting out on a 125 is going to make me a better rider because it will force me to use cornering speed and momentum to get quicker laptimes instead of relying on power.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Cool, I just saw that you previously had a 250F and though that I would throw it out there. After a few races (once you are very comfortable with the bike), you will probably want to consider a 144 kit. But don't worry about that now.

Top Bottom