thinking about a kdx restoration

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
fello kdxers i saw 2 sweet pre liq cooled kdx's while riding ,it got me thinking of doin one ,any older kdx up to new .i have a bike in mind if still there not sure what yr i can't get a hold of him yet.my ?'s what yr to choose or stay away from ,being able to get parts,graphics,anything i might need.can u help pt me in the right direction,don't want to get one i can't put back together .those ones i saw were great(i never have the camera when i need it ) and i've seen some awesome bikes some of u guys have .
thanks, goob.... 99 kdx 200

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yup Yup,, i got an 85' KDX 200 that i resurrected from crap to awesome. I really do like the bike and you can get parts for them. I still ride alot. Im not done with it yet but check it out, its in the readers rides in Just kdx, on page 10.. Ive been told my many that the 85 200 motor was the last of fast. Back when Kawasaki had nothing but Balls out Speed. beleive me,,,, IT Does!!! Ive got twice as much money into my 96 200 motor and the 85 just has the power/speed in a drag race. Call it gearing or whatever,, i dont really know but it is Fast!!I use to race at the Dirt Drags but i got bored beating the hell out of my bike so i dont do it anymore. Only trails the doctor said! hehe

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
thanks guys those r the yrs i was thinking of .i don't know it's like doin a 65 mustang or somethin like that i wanna do a complete frame up job .i love a project lol ,just to bring it back is satisfaction.those ones i saw sure turned my head .....that's it i'm lookin for one to do ,i'll b calling on u soon jason and speedy if ok w u. thanks

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
hey speedy,
I know what you mean i loved my 85 kdx..it was a great bike.......i only wish the ergonomics were better.........i have a parts bike if anyone ever needs parts......i tore it apart to do a rebuild and in a moment of sure stupidity i broke a magnet in the flywheel in half........so if any of you have a parts motor i will by the flywheel off of you. if not enjoy your bikes and come to me for parts. lol good luck, their great bikes.
Tim

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
No problem on the help with the older bike Gooby, I actually have 2 85' kdx 200s. The one is built and the other is a basket case but most of it is there. Ill look into the flywheel for ya but i have to worn ya. I wasnt gonna sell them(85's) but a neighbor wants it bad and he keeps flashing cash in front of my face. I like Money!!!

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I had a 79 KDX 400....actually still do. But it's in no condition to be rebuilt. Besides...$800 just for a new jug.....and you get how much it would cost!!

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
hey jasonwho, man i have the same bike as you a 87 kdx 200 and its the c family...i didnt think there would be anyone out there that would have it that i could talk to about it...maybe we can trade words about our bikes and give tips and stuff....your have any mods?

lightsts

Jul 8, 2002
Got several vintage KDX's. We campaign in the Hare Scrambles on a 83' 200 and a 87' 200. The 83 - 85 has a much stronger motor. We took 2nd in the championship series last year and 1st this year on the 83, running against 470's, 490's and everything else under the sun. The 83' with run circles around the 87'. Parts are not a problem with either bike. We are getting best service with OEM parts. Now if you want to talk parts problems, anything 82' or older will require a lot of searching on Ebay for NOS parts. Also have a 80' 250, 81' 250 and 82' 450. These you restore and admire. They are fun, not very competitive and difficult to keep running (parts issue).

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had an '84 and it was a fine bike in its day. In drag races it would pull my friend's '84 XR350 and '82 Husky 420 Automatic, and was far better than either of those bikes in the woods (IMO).

The old KDX brakes and forks were average at best, but everything else worked great. IMO, the '83-'85 would be a great choice for a restoration, and still fun to ride. Unless you are restroring a red '84, parts shouldn't be too hard to find.

Jeff Fredette was top American at the ISDE on an '84 - it would be cool to do a replica of his bike. :cool:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
well i found a 88 kdx200...(white) i'm going to see it today,it has aftermarket fenders tho,very well maintained it sounds???other than bein white the rest is the same as a green one,no??? can i get anything i might need if the bike follows me home?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i looked at it....lots a good ,some not.good....very clean and service was done to the extreme.extra stuff plus the rear suspension was zerked for easy grease jobs.as far as making it pure stock...lots of after market parts....headlight unit,f fender,r fender ,bars& controls,no graphics,pink ruffles.i was hoping for a stock complete bike to do.there was oil on top of the L cover by the kips cover?....not sure this is the one?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom