LopeMX

Mar 1, 2001
The throttle cable on my 2000 YZ426 is very stiff and does not retract quickly. I have checked the cable routeing and it correct. I've lubed the cable, cleaned the throttle tube and tried to make sure everything is per factory assembly instruction. I'm considering aftermarket cables and an aluminum throttle tube. I NEED SOME FRESH IDEAS! PLEASE HELP! ANY INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPECIATED. Thank You.
Sincerely,
LopeMX

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
Have you tried to isolate the components?
If you disconnect the throttle cable and find there is resistance present, toss it. If the throttle cable and tube move freely your problem lies in the carb.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
i have found on all my yz thumpers that there is a place in the adjustment at the carb end of the cables where- for some reason i haven't identified- you get unacceptable drag on springback. try fiddling with the adjusters and see what you get.

------------------
will pattison
engineer, racer
ignition
www.ignitioninc.com

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
This may be a silly question, but do you have your grips safety wired on? If so, the throttle grip may be wired too tight. Also, the manual calls for light grease on the bar under the tube. This could cause a slow return. Try leaving it dry. Hope this helps.

------------------
00 YZ426
01 TTR-125L (son's)

rwcwoh

Mar 1, 2000
While you are checking the throttle cables, look near the adjusters at the carb and check for a frayed pull or push cable.As they come apart the broken ends scrape on the insides of the housing and slow the throttle return speed.
It gets worse right before it snaps!
All yz,and wr owners should check the cable ends on a regular basis,and do your best to line up the cable adjusters so the inner cable does not rub on the barrel adjusters.

------------------
'99 WR400 " Blue Thunder the tire eater" with alot of expensive stuff on it! Does it ever end?

PK

Feb 27, 2000
I noticed on my YZF that if one of your throttle cables is adjusted too tight, it makes the throttle return very sluggish. The adjustment is like the other guys have stated, under the cover on the left side of the carb. Don't know why this is, but after adjusting the 2 cables back and forth, my throttle returns with a nice crisp snap. Your cables shouldn't be adjusted to where the cables are taught, try a little slack and that will help. Also if your throttle is mounted too far inward on the handlebars, the end of the throttle housing will rub on the end of the handlebar and slow down the throttle return. Good luck,
Pat

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
All of the above are pretty good areas to look, especially:
1. the frayed cable end on the carb (guaranteed it WILL happen eventually, if it hasn't already)
2. kinked cable

Also check:
1. Make sure the throttle tube end isn't tight on the end of the bars
2. If you have Renthal bars, make sure you've removed the stickers that are under the throttle tube. I didn't take them off once, and they starting peeling off and making the throttle tube stick.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by dirtdad:
Also, the manual calls for light grease on the bar under the tube. This could cause a slow return. Try leaving it dry. Hope this helps.

I use an EP type grease under the throttle tube, and "thin it out" with a shot of teflon lubricant.

Silky smooth.

Also, I find that I go through one throttle cable per year. The cables tend to break strands near the carburator end, but under the black plastic tubing, where it's difficult to see.

I use the teflon spray lube on the cables also.

Tony

MotoMojo

Dec 5, 2000
I think yoshimura or ty davis makes an aftermarket little wheel that the throttle cables attach to to address a binding/fraying problem caused by the stock part.
It was in one of the recent mags in the new products section, if I remember correctly.

My experience has been that 4-stroke throttles are not as smooth as 2-strokes (single cable), and are easily boogered up by a crash. I put barkbusters on so something besides the end of the throttle tube hit the ground, and to keep dirt away from the housing. When even a small amount of dirt gets between the grip and the housing it caused throttle woes on both the 4-strokes I have had.

Good luck!

webbrace

May 18, 2000
Both Ty Davis and Yoshimura make bell cranks for the FCR carbs that keep the cables from fraying. If your cables havent frayed yet, they will. Keep on inspecting them..

Top Bottom