KxRider250

Apr 20, 2006
My buddy wrecked my bike pretty hard at the track, but the bike appeared to be fine. I picked it back up, ran 2 smooth laps and then on the face of a double, the throttle stuck wide open. I tried twisting it forward in teh air, but it was as far as it could go. It still revved to the moon and took off when it hit the ground.
I picked the bike up and everything was fine. Ive ridden the bike twice since then. Just around some feilds and stuff. Should I worry about it happening again? what do u think happened?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Make sure the throttle tube isn't binding up on the handlebar.. Make sure the carb is clean and the slide isn't binding up... Make sure there isn't any dirt in the cable sleeve, and that it's not binding up.. Make sure no dirt got into the part of the throttle where the cable and tube join.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check the cable for "kinks". I had a 99 KX that got a stuck throttle, it was the cable. Scary crap when your riding in the trees!

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I had the same thing happen about two weeks ago, what happened to me is that where the throttle cable goes into the slide was frayed for about 5 inches and it would catch leaving throttle wide open. Take off the top of your carb and look at the cable.

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Yes definitely inspect that as throughly as possible! Also make sure than when you're checking it out that turning the handlebars doesn't make the throttle crack open either... :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, stuck throttles are scary! My buddy just had a mis-hap with his girlfriends blaster over the weekend. The cap on top of the carb that the cable goes through worked it's way loose, at wide open throttle, in fifth gear :yikes: . As he was careening toward a conversion ditch, he tried the kill switch, which he said didn't stop it(not sure how), and ended up bailing into the weeds. He landed on a rock with his leg taking the hit.

I highly suggest figuring out why it happened before something like that happens to you!

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I had a similar situation one time on my son’s cr85. It dumped him off and was lying on the ground running wide open he grabbed the kill switch and cut it off. I picked the bike and felt of the throttle. When I moved the throttle I felt it kind of click and it returned to idle position. Moved it several more times it felt fine. He rode it another 30min or so it died and wouldn’t start had no compression. I pulled the head and cylinder off and found half of a pop-rivet on the piston. I was puzzled as to where it could have come from turns it came from the air box. Apparently it entered the carb and briefly hung under the main needle causing it to run wide open throttle. In around about way I’m just saying it warrants investigating because it could be a bigger problem. I learned an expensive lesson. Not to mention the danger involved.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My 01 YZ250 had a recall on the throttle wheel inside the assembly. The throttle locked up on me twice in the woods and the kill switch did absolutely NOTHING. It's definitely a scary enough thing to spend a few minutes before each ride to inspect and clean things up. My 05 YZ 250 has been cleaned many times since I bought it in 04.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Someone said:
My 01 YZ250 had a recall on the throttle wheel inside the assembly. The throttle locked up on me twice in the woods and the kill switch did absolutely NOTHING. It's definitely a scary enough thing to spend a few minutes before each ride to inspect and clean things up. My 05 YZ 250 has been cleaned many times since I bought it in 04.
The kill switch WILL kill it under these conditions but it will take a few seconds of holding it in to do so since the thing is stuck wide open and this is interrupting the spark, not the fuel. The problem is a couple seconds seems like an eternity when you're wide open.

KxRider250

Apr 20, 2006
i dont know. i inspected the cable from top to bottom and tore the carb apart. everything appeared to be fine. I actually went riding for about an hour afterwards. Everything ran fine. I dont know if I should just replace the cable just to be certain it doesnt happen again. I just dont understand it

Top Bottom