Thsnk you! Everyone who wrote about jetting

AK_KDXRider

Oct 11, 2005
I have owned my KDX 200 since it was new in 1991. I have fouled plugs since it had 70 miles on it. UGGG. I thought it was a bad bike to own. I changed plugs just ride and foul again.

I found this web sight 3 days ago and my bike runs great after reading every post about jetting. My dads 1991 KDX 200 has 300 original miles on it. Thanks to this sight we will be able to run more than 30 minutes without a fouled plug.

Needless to say we are not mechanics and no one seemed to have any anwsers. Thank you Canaidian Daves Just KDX :nod:

soldsoul4foos

May 5, 2005
yup. i agree. this site has made my so far short (but i'm sure very LONG) ownership of my 03' 220 so much more rewarding. almost never a question i haven't found an answer too. thanks from me 2.

bill w.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
It's amazing how many people foul plugs. I've got a total of 9 years worth of 2-stroke riding (this doesn't include 4-strokes) between a '78 RM125 (back in '79/80), a '92 YZ250, a '96 KDX200, and a '01 KX125 and have never fouled a plug. I dunno what the difference is except for jetting, maybe. The former owner of my KX fouled plugs and warned me, but I've got nearly 30 hours on the bike now with no problems. I dropped the main jet from 360 to 340 (but also went up 3000' in elevation) and switched from a BR8ES to a BR8EIX plug. I also use Yamahlube 2R instead of his Bel-Ray. I find 2R to run very clean and the engines are always nice and clean on tear-down.

Enjoy!

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
It's amazing how many people foul plugs. I've got a total of 9 years worth of 2-stroke riding (this doesn't include 4-strokes) between a '78 RM125 (back in '79/80), a '92 YZ250, a '96 KDX200, and a '01 KX125 and have never fouled a plug

Me neither.

I think the key is to ride it like a 2 stroke and wind it out.

AK_KDXRider

Oct 11, 2005
thanks again

I am limited to number of seconds that I can ride wide open, mostly logging roads with other riders or trucks. Which prompted me to buy the KDX in the first place. Over a KX. I also have a buddy with a Honda thumper and he had many problems with jetting after messin around with exhaust. For me I'd rather have a realiable bike over power.

At one time I felt I needed a bigger bike as I grew as a rider. Now it's a great bike and I plan to get my family involved with riding as my daughter gets older. :ride:

Thanks for all the useful info.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
AK_KDXRider said:
I am limited to number of seconds that I can ride wide open, mostly logging roads with other riders or trucks.

"Wide open" doesn't have to have anything to do with "speed". I ride with quads, my friend's son on his XR80, and my daughter on her JR80. I've geared my KDX down so that I can get some RPM's out of 1st and 2nd gear and spend most of my time there or sometimes in 3rd gear. Aside from kicking it down to 1st and revving it rather than lugging it, it's useful to pull the clutch and zing the engine every so often. I have to do this when going down those miles-long logging road or it'll load up. I can hear the resonance of the pipe changing: ""whoom-whoom-whoing-wing-wing-wing-ring-ding-ding-ding-ring"
as it cleans out. If I didn't do this, I'd probably foul a plug.

On the whole, though, I think it's mostly good jetting, a clean air filter, and a good spark plug.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
StrokesX2 said:
Me neither.

I think the key is to ride it like a 2 stroke and wind it out.

Unless its tht main jet thats too rich! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom