Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Yesterday my dream can true and I got some serious track time on an 01 YZ250F, that thing is sweeeeeeet!! Being a 2 stroke rider since the begining it was really weird to ride this thing at first, no shifting now that is weird. I didn't have any trouble with jumping or the front diving and the corners were just way too easy. But it seemed like I was riding it as if it were a 125, clutching it out of corners, reving to the moon and such. I'm interested in what techniques you thumper riders have found successful. Are there any "thumper only" tips I should know? A Cr or Yz 250F is defiently my next bike :thumb:

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I just got my cr450f and I ride it the same way I rode my kx250. Only difference for me, is that it's easier. It may make me a lazier rider. I don't know about the yz250 but my crf has virtually no engine braking so I take the corner/turns the same. I think it jumps similar also. Again, no engine braking. At first, I did have to get used to the new power application and thought it was going to take me a while , but about 3-4 and I'm now convinced.

sceptor

Mar 31, 2002
Never let off the gas on the face of a jump. I dont know of anyone that has mastered the front flip yet.

Watch the rear tire coming into tight corners, use the tranny more than the rear brake to slow you down, and keep your weight of the rear tire. If the rear does locks up it will stall in a heartbeat. Just remember to blip the compression lever when it does, it usually fires right back up if your still rolling.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by sceptor
Never let off the gas on the face of a jump. I dont know of anyone that has mastered the front flip yet.

they don't have mcuh compression braking compared to other four strokes. i let off the gas on jump faces all the time.

moto squid, you are on the right track when you said 'i rode it like a 125'. that is how i ride mine and i feel it is the way to do it. don't be afraid to use the clutch!

Top Bottom