Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Those of you that have been around this place for any length of time have probably heard Jay (mx547) and myself talk about our daughters Kendall & Tigger. Jay & I first met a few years ago when a few of us DRN’ers met up for a ride and we discovered we both had daughters the same age and they both rode too. We always talked about getting our kids together but only one obstacle stood in the way, distance! Jay and Kendall live in Pryor OK while Tigger & me live smack dab in the middle of TX. We finally got to introduce them at DW03 and since that time all I heard from Tigger is Kendall, Kendall, Kendall! DW04 rolled around and Tigger was crushed to find out Kendall couldn’t make it. Fast forward to this weekend.

Kendall is in the process of qualifying for “Loretta Lynn’s” and this past weeks race happened to be about an hour from our house here in Texas. Unaware that the last race Tigger did was in late 2003, Kendall invited Tigger to come race with her at Freestone. Now Tigger still loves to ride, in fact she just got an 85 in late February however she has only ridden it once since she got it. Dying to see Kendall again, Tigger said she wanted to go but under no circumstances was she going to race. Our plans for the weekend were to meet Jay & Kendall on Friday night at Freestone, spend the night and watch Kendall race Saturday then head to Waco Eagles that night where I would race Sunday. We pulled in the pits about 10pm Tigger was fast asleep in the RV. One word was all it took to wake her up, “There’s Kendall!” Man if she would only get up for school that easy. We spent the rest of Friday night just hanging out. Jay & I made it until just before 1am. The kids drifted off to sleep shortly afterwards.

Saturday came pretty early and as hard as Kendall tried, she could not convince Tigger to race. Tigger did mention to me during one of Kendall’s heats that she probably should have but I didn’t bring that up. Kendall rode well and her races were over reasonably early. Her plans were to make it back to Oklahoma in time to make a race that night but Jay said that wasn’t going to happen when you factored in the 7-hour drive time. I suggested that they join us on Sunday at the Waco Eagles track for my local club races. Tigger even promised Kendall that if they came that she would race with her. Kendall was worried that she needed to get back home so the gear was packed and we soon parted ways. Tigger had to really fight back the tears as we turned left out of the park and they turned right, again I head Kendall, Kendall, Kendall!

It was about an hour drive for Tigger and me from Freestone to the Waco track while Jay & Kendall were driving in the opposite direction toward Oklahoma. My best guess would be about 2 hours had passed when I got the call and they had turned around and were headed to Waco. Tigger starts again with the Kendall, Kendall, Kendall!

Saturday night Flat Track races were well underway when they pulled into the Waco pits. Jay and I watched some Flat Track till about 11:30 p.m. before calling it a night. The girls said they passed out around 4am. We let them sleep till 7:30am before getting them up for practice. Both looked like death warmed over but they were into their gear pretty quick. Tigger held true to her word that she would race with Kendall and since they came, there was no backing out now. Both complained that they didn’t feel good but I wouldn’t either if I had stayed up till 4am the night before a race.

Races got underway a little after 9. I was race 6 and the girls were race 11. It had to have been about 3:30 before the girls finished their 2nd moto and Jay & Kendall had a LONG drive home. Kendall finished 2nd overall and Tigger a 3rd. Both girls rode well. It was a very good race between Kendall and the 1st place girl. I think Kendall would have walked away with it had she been more experienced at this track. The girl that won rides it all the time. Tigger surprised me as well. This was her 1st race on the 85 and only the 2nd time she’s even ridden it. After the races she asked me to help her with some techniques (as if I were the one to do any good..ha). Maybe Kendall light a fire, who knows? Everyone said their good-byes till next time and Tigger sighed “Kendall” but not until we got a couple of pictures. It was great to see the girls together after almost 1&1/2 years of not seeing each other. Isn’t it funny how friendships can come together and even greater how they can continue when you have something in common? None of this would have been possible if Jay or myself hadn’t logged into dirtrider.net way back when.

It was a great weekend and lots of fun with some very good people. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I know Tigger did too. Here are a couple of pictures that show the smiles.

Tigger & Kendall 4-17-05

Attachments

• TK.jpg
    TK.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 116
  • tkpod.jpg
    tkpod.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR