Time for another chain/sprockets

Yarb, you asked,

Big Stoppy- Did you have any interference problems with the chain slider?
I didn't have a problem because I normally run the axle in the rear section of the swingarm which gives a little more space for the larger sprocket, chain guide, and the chain. I dont think I could go to a 56 toother without installing an aftermarket guide, though.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Great thanks, that's what I needed to know.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Big Stoppy

Man I don't know how you run the axle to the rear. With the 54 I have a problem with too short or too long. If I took only two links out, the axle was very near all the way to the rear, leaving chain stretch adjustment next to nil. Taking another link out, made it short. I had to run the adjusters almost all the way in to make it work and will probably need to purchase an aftermarket chain guide. After riding to check my suspension, I noticed that the guides rubber was rubbing the top portion of the chain. Anybody have any recommendations? Fredette? Moose? Etc.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Yarbonwick,
Don't you have eccentric chain blocks on that orange beast?

RedRider4

Jaybird,

Did you lose a lot of top end when you went from 13/50 to 13/52? Or was it not really noticeable? I was thinking about putting a 51 or 52 on the back but was afraid I'd lose a lot of top end! Could you tell a huge difference in bottom end torque? Let me know. Thanks!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Originally posted by Jaybird
Yarbonwick,
Don't you have eccentric chain blocks on that orange beast?
How do you mean?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
RedRider4,
I noticed no loss of top at all, of course I ride mainly on groomed track and never use top gear on the track. You won't notice any change in top at all, but I did notice a nice change in bottom. See, I also don't use low gear either. I start in 2nd gear and use it for my low Always. Only time I ever see first gear is if I screw up and go there. 2nd is fine now that I have the 52t rear.
yarbonwick, My sx has eccentric chain blocks on the axle. It allows me to turn the block around and use a shorter adjustment bolt for the same position once the chain is long. In other words, it strengthens the adjustment. Without the block, a long chain would not only have the axle in the rear position, but the adjustment bolts would be taxed out to the end of their travel as well. Not a good thing. The eccentric block cures this situation. I thought ALL KTM's had 'em. (shrug) If you do, in fact, have these blocks on your bike, try experimenting with turning them around.
I thought I would add this for ya yarbon.....I bought a Sidewinder SS chain witht their hardned aluminum rear and chrome-moly front. I've got about 20 hours on em and I have only adjusted the bolt about 1/2 turn TOTAL! I know you are going to hear alot of remarks about the overpriced Sidewinder stuff, but being a man who uses roller chains to make a living, I can tell you that Krause has the right approach to roller chain and sprockets. The keys to happy chains and sprockets are:
  • Proper chain tension
  • Proper lubrication
  • Close tolerances of materials
of course hardned, machined sprockets don't hurt :D

Last edited:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Jaybird I didn't realize what you were talking about and took a look. My 2000 does have what you speak. I could turn them around and use them. Wish I would have thought of that before.

RedRider4: Lost lots. But I wasn't worried about that.